While driving home up Cedar Mountain Road (Butler Mountain, outside
Asheville) my wife and I had a BRIEF glimpse of a crow-sized bird who
promptly left its tree and flew out of sight. It showed us white wing
patches on the TOP of the wings (so not a pileated woodpecker- we
have a pair that live up higher on the mountain, and of course they
look like crows but have a red head and a white patch on the
undersurface of the wings.)

I'm a beginning birder, so any help here would be appreciated.

Russ  Palmeri

Also thanks to all those who recommended AviSys as a birding program.

Russ Palmeri
Asheville, NC