Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'!!

C-birders,

Ventured up to milepost 270 as instructed by Marcus B. Simpson Jr. and by
golly as predicted there was the Cerulean warbler. Not 20 seconds passed
until I heard and after a painful battle with briars and locust saplings saw
my first Kentucky warbler. I was accompanied by novice birder and mushroom
connoisseur, T.R. Blevins of Hays, NC. The neat thing about both of the
previously mentioned lifers is that I identified them by song first and then
sight. I'm not too sure that this is the way most folks do it, but hopefully
it will be a trend that I will continue. Right now there are not too many
leaves out and it is a great time to visit this location. Remember that the
Blue Ridge Parkway is currently inaccessible from HWY 421 at Deep Gap, so
you will either have to come up HWY 16 from Wilkes or down 221 S from West
Jefferson or down the Parkway from the north. The rest of the list is as
follows:

Ovenbird
Black-throated blue warbler
Worm-eating warbler
Black-and-white warbler
American redstart (just would not go away thankfully)
Hooded warbler
Wood thrush
Phoebe
Titmouse
Robin
White-breasted nuthatch
Dark-eyed junco
Sharp-shinned hawk
Black-throated green warbler
Rufous-sided towhee
Turkey Vulture
Crow
Female turkeys
Solitary vireo (can't stand the name change)

Hope you get to visit soon,

Eric Harrold
esharrol@email.uncc.edu
Charlotte, NC