Iceland Gull at Swan Quarter Ferry Terminal briefly

My husband Nick and I just returned from one of Brian Patteson's fabulous
pelagic trips.

We went to the Outer Banks Friday via the 9 a.m. Swan Quarter to Okrakoke
Island ferry.  When the Okrakoke ferry arrived at Swan Quarter, it brought
with it a pale 1st winter Iceland Gull.  (We were there almost an hour early
and didn't see it until after the ferry arrived.)  The gull waited around
until the ferry left, and then followed us for the next 2 hours, flying over
the rear end of the ferry or directly overhead.  Finally it left us,
probably to find another ferry.

Also seen on that ferry trip were large flocks of surf and black scoters, a
good number of common and red-throated loons, and various other "water
birds."

Veronica Pantelidis
Greenville, NC
pantelidisv@mail.ecu.edu