Duke's Bryan Center

Hi C-birders,

Decided to have breakfast and grade some lab reports on the deck at Duke's
Bryan Center this morning. The deck looks out on a pretty little fragment
of old-growth forest, too small for anything useful to breed there but big
enough to attract some migrants. I had 25 species in under 2 hours sitting
there, including my first Black-and-white Warbler, my first White-eyed
Vireos, my second Ovenbird (heard only, of course), and what I suspect
might be my last Dark-eyed Junco. According to the Triangle checklist, the
species decreases steadily from "common" the last week of March to "rare"
the last week of April and into early May. It's actually the first Junco
I've seen in the past couple of weeks... I also haven't seen or heard a
Golden-crowned Kinglet in a week or two, though Ruby-crowns are lustily
singing from seemingly everywhere. Also consistent with the checklist.

This woodlot usually has a Wood Thrush singing in it every summer, but he
hasn't arrived yet. Given their usual forest-interior tendencies, I would
bet that he either never attracts a mate, or they raise broods of cowbirds
every summer.

Good birding,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose