Re: Goose Killing at Davidson College

Wendy,

I can appreciate your outrage over the goose killing at Davidson.  It does
sound like a barbaric act which should be taken seriously as much for the
student's sake as the goose.  However, while a suspension for the remainder
of the semester in addition to such penalties as may be imposed under the
criminal laws involved, might be appropriate, suggesting "that these students
NOT be allowed to continue their educational privileges at Davidson College"
seems a bit harsh.  I think of Jesus' words to those who wanted to stone the
woman caught in the act of adultery "Let any one of you who is without sin be
the first to throw a stone at her." and I remember equally stupid things I
did as a teenager and the words of my criminal law professor, Albert Coates,
that sometimes you need to "temper the wind to the shorn lamb."

These students certainly need to be taught a lesson, and I trust that a
school with the fine reputation of Davidson will thoroughly investigate and
act appropriately.  However, terminating their enrollment at Davidson would
be excessive punishment.

Clyde Smith
Raleigh, NC
Smith82534@aol.com

"To me all the frail, enduring beauty of the world finds its voice in the
song of the whitethroat."  Edwin Way Teale