More on Swainson's Hawk at Alligator River

Carolinabirders,

With reference to Brad Carlson's post on the Swainson's Hawk, Paula and I,
along with Ricky Davis watched the Swainson's perched in a distant pine tree
for about a half hour until Derb Carter arrived.  He got a look at the bird
through my Celestron 8 at 135X.  We needed the big scope since the hawk was
very distant and the overcast had considerably dimmed the afternoon sky.
Within five minutes of Derb's arrival, the hawk dropped off its perch and
vanished behind the trees.  Ricky and Derb continued to hunt for the bird.
Paula and I continued home.

For those who may try for this bird tomorrow, be aware that the bird is a
young bird.  To me it resembled most the intermediate juvenile depicted in
Sibley.  It shows very long and pointed wings in flight, with a slight
dihedral in glide, but not as much as the numerous harriers which are
present at the sight.  The primaries are a dark gray when seen from
underneath, and contrast with the lighter underwing coverts.  From almost
any distance, the white throat is visible, along with a fairly pronounced
dark moustache line.  There is a dark bar through the eye and a somewhat
lighter area above and below this line.  There is a light area above the
bill, but not as pronounced as it would be on an adult.  There is some white
flecking on the upper back, but not like in Red-tailed Hawk.  It is
restricted to the upper back just below the neck area.  The dark on the
upper breast just below the white neck is incomplete.

This bird is not very cooperative.  It was seen in flight only briefly by
us.  For a while it was very high, but came down and stayed on the ground
for about an hour or more, until it flew away into a tree.  So, if this bird
hangs around, it may be difficult to see.  Based on today's experience, it
may spend a considerable amount of time perched on the ground.

John
John and Paula Wright
1953-A Quail Ridge Rd
Greenville, NC 27858