new rd., 03-23-03

hi y'all,

spent about an hour on New Rd. in Conway this afternoon. i arrived about
16:00 to find the water level is almost at road level for the first time in
quite awhile. highlights were excellent views of a Yellow-throated warbler
snagging something out of a piece of Spanish Moss 20ft away, then singing a
bit. at least 3 N. Parula calling. Golden- and Ruby-crowned kinglets, Hairy
and Downy woodpeckers, small flock of strangely silent Yellow-rumpeds, pair
of Pine warblers, one Black-and-white warbler, goldfinches calling, Fish
Crow calling, small group of Tree swallows, a pair of Red-shouldered hawks;
one on nest, the other soaring and calling, pair of Pileated wps calling,
Barred Owl calling at 16:30.

one Tiger Swallowtail powered by.

cool sighting was a River Otter scampering across the road, pausing for a
second to check me out, then disappearing into the water on the other side.

birding in that area has been relativey poor since last summer. i sure hope
it's related to the construction project at the sewage ponds and not the
increase in signs of human civilization (read trash all over the place.)
maybe the birds will return when the construction's completed. i really miss
being able to see the Red-headed woodpeckers whenever i wanted to. i've seen
them withdraw from our neighborhood approx. .25 mi. away over the past
several years. now it appears they've withdrawn from the swamp, or at least
an area of it where they've been common for many years.

cheers,
gary

gary phillips
conway, sc
sunset zone 31

"...where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment
of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with
reverence..." (J.J. Audubon)