Re: inexpensive binoculars

Thanks to everyone who replied. There were several votes of confidence for Burgess, and also Nicon, Celestron (Eagle Optics), the Pentax PCF WP 8x40 and Swift Ultralights, plus the recommendations that went to the whole list. I have looked at those I could and passed on recommendations to her. I will probably be getting myself the Burgess or Pentax, but I know Nicon cameras and so want to look at those binoculars first.

Thanks again for the quick responses!

Still no Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, though. We do have several Black-throated Blue Warblers.

Dave

dfcurtin wrote:

I have a daughter on the west coast looking for a pair of binoculars for occasional bird and whale watching use. I remember someone posted that the Burgess Binoculars (http://burgessoptical.com/) were a very high quality for the price. Does anyone else have a recommendation for good quality optics for around $100? I have not had a chance to look at the Burgess, and a lot of the <$100 binoculars I have looked at were really not very good.
To add some bird related content, I still haven't seen any Rose-breasted Grosbeaks in my area (just south of Hillsborough) though we have had them as yard birds the last few years.

-- David_Curtin@unc.edu