Offshore birding

Hello everyone -
During two offshore fishing trips I have taken in the last week from Morehead City, NC, I have seen some fairly common (offshore this time of year) yet interesting birds. In the Gulf Stream last week, saw Pomarine and Parasitic Jaegers, along with one Bridled and one Black Tern. Yesterday we had many (> 50) Wilson's Storm Petrels feeding near (within 3 ft) our boat, along with some Greater and Audobon's Shearwaters - the fishermen apparently call these "Marlinbirds." Quite amazing to me how powerful and fast these birds are while appearing relaxed, and such good swimmers, too! On our return home, two Barn Swallows cruised by our boat five miles from shore. Life is different out on the ocean, 50 miles from nearest land.
Nate Bacheler
Morehead City, NC