Transylvania County, North Carolina

Folks,
        Dick Blee said he would be happy for me to post the following:
Mid afternoon yesterday, 10/14/03.   Dick Blee found a NORTHERN WHEATEAR at
Connesstee Falls in Transylvania County,  North Carolina.  At about 5:00 PM
yesterday, Norma Siebenheller called to tell me of the sighting.  I called
Dick Blee and he invited me to come on over to see this truly spectacular
bird.  I had to pass Ron Selvey's house so he accompanied me as well.
        Connesstee Falls is a gated community of high dollar homes located
at about 3000 feet elevation in the mountains of Western NC.  Upon our
arrival Dick took us to a small lake.  Almost immediately upon our arrival
we observed the bird. The bird appeared to be an adult female.  We observed
the bird for at least 30 minutes.  It literally was jumping straight up in
the air off the ground, apparently catching insects.  It did lots of tail
wagging as it went from place to place.  It spent a lot of time on several
small boat docks as well as sign posts.  During this time I was able to
digiscope this bird as well as take some video.  The bird was very peach
colored.  The white rump, and vent,  as well as the black terminal band on
the tail were clearly visible.
        Dick was preparing for the onslaught of birders if this bird was
still present this morning.  I spoke to Dick several times today and the
bird was a no show. If this bird is relocated he will let us know!  I have
sent a few photos to the CBC website for posting.
Best regards,
Wayne
Wayne K. Forsythe
Hendersonville, N. C. 28791