[Prev][Index][Thread]

Re: Question about right of the way

David Liberman (david@feet.com) wrote:
: isaac@unislc.slc.unisys.com (Isaac Soundararaj) wrote:

: >Hi Netters,
: >   Could you please help me with the following question?
: >   I am sorry, it may be a obvious question.

: >   Suppose that I am in an intersection, with red light for me.
: >   Behind me comes an emergency vehicle with flasers and siren.
: >   Should I have to proceed forward (eventhough it is red for me)
: >   so that the emergency vehicle can go past me.
: >   The situation  assumed: if I don't move, the emergency vehicle
: >   behind me can't proceed.

: >   Your answer is appreciated.
: >   Thanks. -Isaac

: I'd say it's a case-by-case basis.  If pulling into the intersection
: does not create a hazard go for it, but ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A
: WAY OUT!  Never leave yourself boxed in.

: If there's a lot of traffic, and pulling into the intersection isn't
: safe, then make a hard right into the media.  You don't have to ditch
: your car, just make enough room for the emergency vehicle to get by.

: David Liberman

There probably has never been a case where a police officer
has given a ticket or citation for a motorist getting out
of the way of an emergency vehicle (with lights/sirens on).

Just do what you have to do to get out of the way but do
it cautiously.

If anybody has been issued a ticket I'd like to know the
circumstances.

Walter Tondu
wtondu@netcom.com
'94 RX7 R2 blk