You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Jun 2003

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00002 Jun 2003

Jun 2003 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrI:

Dear BhakthAs:

When we hear from AchAryAs about the significance of
some rites used in our sampradhAyam from time immemorial ,
it is important to share them with all the AaasthikAs .

It is in this soirit I am happy to share with you
the anugraha BhAshaNam of HH SrI Ranga PriyA MahA Desikan
of AshtAnga Yogam Institute of Bangalore on the inner
meanings of recieving SanyAsis with POORNA KUMBHAM.

Thank You SrIman Bharat for making this precious insights of
a great AchAryan available to us all :

>--- In rangapriya@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "A.Bharat" <kbharat@xxxx> wrote:

>This morning after Pooja Swamiji gave a short talk
>on the significance of the Poornakumbha welcome.
>Here's the gist:
>
>The Poornakumbha welcome accorded to Saints
>is akin to the red carpet welcome of the dignitaries,
>but differs in every respect.While that is general,
>this is specific.Specific to BrahmagnAnis,though
>it is also accorded to all Representatives of the
>Lord and even to Kshatriyas who have vowed to
>uphold Dharma (<NAvishNuh PrithivIpatih>)
>
>A pot full of water,with a coconut,a koorcha,mango leaves
>and garland wound round it is carried on one's head.
>
>The pot full of water represents the head of the
>GnAni.While it may resemble our head,it is
>totally different.Our head is upside down and
>has seven holes as well.So it can never be a
>"Poorna" kumbha. On the other hand that is
>mouth up,has no holes and is so full that there
>is no chalanam or waves.Like the GnAni
>who has the Lord in him and is immersed in
>Him,with no distractions.
>
>The coconut again represents the GnAni's head-
>it has a Sikha, and three eyes,the central
>brow-eye shaped like a linga and pointing upwards
>like that of Sri Narasimha and Siva (<UrdhvarEtam
>VirUpAksham>).It contains also a Rasa (<RasO
>vai Sah>) unpolluted by outside influences,forever
>sweet and perfectly preserved.It also contains
>what is called a "giNNu" which is unattached and
>floating like the mind of a JIvanmukta living in
>this world yet not touched by it.
>
>The other items like the mango leaves and flowers
>emphasise the "mangala" nature of the Saint's
>Presence.The Kumbha is carried on the head
>to indicate the aspiration of the downturned pot
>to one day become upright again.The Veda
>ghosha in that occasion is equally for drowning
>the PrAkrita noises,as for simulating the
>atmosphere in which the Saint exists in his
>spiritual world.
>
>Sri Rangapriya MahAguravE Namah!

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia