Lighthouses of Kiribati
The Republic of Kiribati (pronounced "keer-ih-bahs")
includes 33 coral atolls scattered across a vast stretch of the central
Pacific Ocean. It includes all or part of three groups of islands. In
the west is the former British colony known as the Gilbert Islands. The
Phoenix Islands are in the central part of the country, and the Line Islands lie to the east. Many of the atolls of the Phoenix and Line Islands were
formerly claimed by both Britain and the U.S., and those two countries
administered several of them jointly until Kiribati was granted its independence
in 1979. In September of that year, in the Treaty of Tarawa, the U.S. acknowledged the sovereignty of Kiribati over 14 islands formerly claimed by the United States, including Kanton (Canton) and Enderbury Islands.
The U.S. retains ownership of five atolls and islands on the northern edge of Kiribati: Kingman Reef, Palmyra Atoll, and Howland, Baker, and Jarvis Islands. Lighthouses of these islands are listed on the U.S. Pacific Remote Islands page.
ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS
World List of Lights. Admiralty numbers are from volume M of the
Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers
are from Publication 111.
- General Sources
- World of Lighthouses - Kiribati
- Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
- Online List of Lights - Kiribati
- Coming soon: photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas.
- Navigational chart information for Tarawa.
Kanton Island Light; QSL card image
courtesy of Amateur Radio Lighthouse
all rights reserved
- Line Islands Lighthouses
- Kiritimati (Christmas Island)
- Date unknown. Active; focal plane 39 m (128 ft); continuous red light. Approx. 35 m (115 ft) skeletal tower. The Admiralty places this light near the northwestern end of the atoll, but no tower is seen in Bing's satellite view of the listed location. A communications tower seen in another Bing satellite view may carry the light. A map of the island locates the light on the north side of the lagoon entrance, and this is conistent with NGA's listing, but Google's satellite view does not reveal a tower at that location. Kiritimati (pronounced "Kirismas") is the principal atoll of the Line Islands. Formerly administered jointly by the U.S. and Britain as a military base, the atoll has an airport and a population of more than 5500. Site location and status unknown. Admiralty M8536; NGA 11100.
- Tabuaeran (Fanning Island, Greig Memorial)
- 1957(?). Active(?); focal plane 9 m (30 ft); continuous white light.
9 m (30 ft) square stone monument topped by a short pole. The Admiralty
list says that a light is shown "on request," presumably
from the top of the pole. Beth
Poltis's photo is at right, Gus Perez has a 2002 photo
and a closeup of the plaque
on the monument, the light is visible in Wikimedia's view of the lagoon entrance, and Google has a distant satellite view. Tabuaeran,
or Fanning Island, was uninhabited when it was annexed by Great Britain
in 1888. Today it has a population of about 2500 tending coconut plantations.
The Greig family were planters and traders on the atoll. The
British blasted a lagoon entrance on the west side of the island,
and the monument is located on Weston Point on the south side of the
entrance. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty M8528; NGA 11108.
Phoenix Islands Lighthouses
- Enderbury Island
- 1938. Inactive. Approx. 9 m (30 ft) round concrete tower painted
with red and white horizontal bands. Formerly all white, the lighthouse has been repainted in recent years. A closeup photo dated 2010 is available, Wikimedia has an undated distant photo
by Cameron Kepler, and the tower is barely visible in Google's satellite view. Enderbury
Island is an uninhabited coral island 63 km (40 mi) east southeast of Kanton. The island was
mined for guano by Americans in the 1870s and by British in the 1880s.
Like Kanton it was settled briefly by Americans in the years leading
up to World War II, but it has been uninhabited since 1942. Enderbury does not have an open lagoon. The lighthouse is on the beach on the southwest side of the island. Accessible
only by boat. Site open, tower status unknown.
Greig Memorial, Tabuaeran, August 2004
copyright Beth Poltis; used by permission
- * Kanton
(Canton) Island (Abariringa)
- 1938. Inactive. 8 m (30 ft) round rubblestone tower. A small photo is at the top of this page, Aras Mardosa has a photo taken from the top of the tower, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. The San Diego Air and Space Museum has a historic photo, and a photo (2/3 of the way down the page) is available showing the lighthouse dedication ceremony on 27 July 1938. Kanton
Island, formerly spelled Canton, is one of the atolls in the Phoenix
group that was claimed by both the U.S. and Britain. In 1939 the two
countries agreed to joint sovereignty over the island. American settlers arrived on the previously uninhabited
island in March 1938. Pan American Airways built an airfield in 1939
and used Canton as a refueling stop for trans-Pacific flights in 1940-41
and from 1946 to 1958. The U.S. space agency NASA operated a spacecraft
tracking station on the atoll from 1960 to 1965, and the U.S. Air
Force continued the station for tracking missile tests until 1976.
The U.S. surrendered its claim to the island in 1979 in favor of newly-independent
Kiribati. Shortly thereafter, the new government of Kiribati
settled a small community on the atoll; the current population is
about 40. The light tower appears to be in good condition. Located on the south side of the main lagoon entrance, on the west side of the atoll. Site open,
tower status unknown. ARLHS CKB-001.
Gilbert Islands Lighthouses
- * Tarawa
- Date unknown. Active(?); focal plane 21.5 m (70 ft); white light, 4 s on, 16 s off. Approx. 20 m (66 ft) skeletal tower. No photo available and the tower is not conspicuous in Google's satellite view. Located at Buariki on the northern tip of the Tarawa atoll, which includes the capital of Kiribati. Site presumably open, tower closed. Admiralty M8508; NGA 11076.
- * Betio
- Date unknown. Active(?); focal plane 32 m (105 ft); white flash every 8 s. 33.5 m (110 ft) communications tower painted with red and white horizontal bands. Itaaka Namai has a 2017 photo and Google has a satellite view. Betio, the islet on the southwestern tip of the Tarawa atoll, was the scene of ferocious fighting during the Battle of Tarawa in World War II. Located at the southwestern tip of Betio. Site presumably open, tower closed. Admiralty M8512; NGA 11080.
Information available on lost lighthouses:
Notable faux lighthouses:
Adjoining pages: North: U.S. Pacific Remote Islands | West: Marshall Islands
Return to the Lighthouse Directory index
| Ratings key
Posted August 28, 2005. Checked and revised March 20, 2019.
Lighthouses: 6. Site copyright 2019 Russ Rowlett and the University of North
Carolina at Chapel Hill.