Lighthouses of Northern Ireland
After many years as part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and
Ireland, most of Ireland became independent in 1922. Six northern counties
remained in the United Kingdom, which then became the United Kingdom of Great
Britain and Northern Ireland.
Most of the coast of Northern
Ireland faces Scotland across the North Channel. Londonderry (Derry) and Belfast are the major ports.
The division of Ireland did not change the administration of
most Irish lighthouses. The Commissioners of Irish Lights, a corporation chartered by the Irish Parliament in 1786 and based in
Dublin, continues to operate the major coastal lighthouses in Northern Ireland as well as
in the Irish Republic. Harbor lights are operated by the local harbor authority.
The Irish language is spoken commonly as a first or second language in Ireland. The Irish phrase for a lighthouse is teach solais (plural tithe solais). Oileán (plural oileáin) is an island, rinn is a cape, and cuan is a harbor. A lough (pronounced like the Scottish loch) is a lake or an inlet of the sea.
ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. CIL numbers are from the light list of the Commissioners of Irish Lights. Admiralty
numbers are from Volume A of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog
Signals. U.S. NGA numbers are from Publication 114.
- General Sources
Commissioners of Irish Lights - Aids to Navigation
- An interactive map leads to pages for each of the CIL lighthouses.
- Pete's Irish Lighthouses
- Peter Goulding's informative blog on the lighthouses of Ireland. There are pages for County Antrim and County Down.
- Great Lighthouses of Ireland
- This website provides information on twelve Irish lighthouses CIL has identified for tourism development. Three are in Northern Ireland (Rathlin West, Blackhead Antrim, and St. John's Point).
- Online List
of Lights - Northern Ireland
- Photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas.
- Lighthouses in Northern Ireland
- Photos available from Wikimedia; many of these photos were first posted on Geograph.org.uk.
- World of Lighthouses - Northern Ireland
- Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
in Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
- Excellent aerial photos posted by Marinas.com.
Leuchttürme auf historischen Postkarten
- Historic postcard images posted by Klaus Huelse.
- Navigation chart information for Northern Ireland.
Blackhead Light, County Antrim, May 2010
Geograph Creative Commons photo by
East Maidens Light, North Channel, June 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo by
County Londonderry (Derry) Lighthouses
Derry City Lighthouses
- * Culmore (2)
- 1920s (station established 1848). Inactive since 2012. 7 m (23 ft) concrete tower with a small window near the top
through which the light was formerly displayed. Lighthouse painted white with a green
base. John Heaney has a closeup photo, a 2012 closeup photo is available,
Huelse has a historic postcard
view, and Google has a 2012 street view and a satellite view.
The lighthouse stands at the end of a promontory projecting into the River
Foyle just south of its mouth, near Culmore Fort. There is an active light (focal plane 4 m (13 ft); quick-flashing green light) on a nearby post. Site probably open, tower
closed. Owner: Londonderry
Port and Harbour Commissioners. ARLHS NTI-028; ex-Admiralty A6132 (modern light Admiralty A6131); NGA
- Date unknown. Active; focal plane 6 m (20 ft); white flash every 3 s. 7
m (23 ft) concrete tower with a small window near the top through which
the light was formerly displayed; the current solar-powered light is mounted
on top of the tower. Lighthouse painted white with a green base. Trabas
has a closeup photo, and Google has a satellite view.
Located on the west bank of the River Foyle at Ballynagard, about 1.5 km
(1 mi) southwest of the Culmore Light. Site and tower closed (private property). Operator: Londonderry
Port and Harbour Commissioners. Admiralty A6136; NGA 7196.
Coleraine Area Lighthouse
- * Portstewart Point
- Date unknown. Active; focal plane 21 m (69 ft); red light, 7 s on, 3 s
off. Light mounted on a 3 m (10 ft) square concrete equipment hut, painted
bright red. A mast, also mounted atop the hut, carried pilot signals. Trabas
has a photo, and Google has a September 2009 street view and a satellite view.
Evidently, the building was repainted from green to red in the fall of 2009. Located on the point, near the end of Harbour Road in Portstewart. Parking provided. Site
open, tower closed. Operator: unknown. ARLHS
NTI-038; Admiralty A6073; NGA 7056.
County Antrim Lighthouses
- Causeway Coast Daybeacon
- [Storks Reef Beacon]
- Date unknown. Inactive daybeacon. 11 m (36 ft) round stone beacon painted black with a red horizontal band. Bing has an indistinct satellite view of the reef. This is clearly a historic beacon and we need information on its history. Located in Bushmills Bay about 2 km (1.25 mi) west of Portballintrae. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed.
Rathlin Island Lighthouses
- Note: Rathlin Island is in the North Channel 8 km (5 mi) off the northern coast of Antrim. The
island is shaped like an inverted L, with the shorter leg pointed south
and the longer one pointed west. The island has a population of about 80 and is accessible by passenger
ferry from Ballycastle (several times daily in the summer, three times
a week in the winter). No cars are allowed on the island, but all three
lighthouses can be reached on foot. Rathlin Island is administered as part of the Moyle District. One further note: the Rathlin O'Birne
Light is on a different island in County Donegal, Republic of Ireland.
- **** Rathlin
- 1917. Active; focal plane 62 m (204 ft); red flash every 5 s. Lantern
on a concrete pad built into a notch in a spectacular almost-vertical
cliff. Rising behind the lantern is a square cylindrical tower 18
m (60 ft) high, attached at its upper end to a 2-story keeper's
house set into another, higher notch. (At this light station, the
keepers climbed down to the light.) All buildings are painted
white for best contrast against the dark cliff face. The lighthouse is automated but it is maintained by an attendant. A photo is at right, Chris Lindsay has a photo, Donald MacDonald has a view from the sea,
Paul McIlroy has a photo of the keeper's house, Marinas.com
has aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view.
This is one of the world's most spectacular settings for a lighthouse.
Building the station took three years and £400,000,
a huge sum for the time. The Royal Society for the Protection of
Birds has a seabird
observation platform atop the cliff close to the lighthouse; Google has a street view.
In 2013 CIL announced plans to develop the light station with a visitor center. The lighthouse and birding center were closed in 2014 for a £600,000 restoration. Located at the western end of the island. The site is accessible by a single-track road which also serves as a hiking
trail 6 km (4 mi) long. During the summer shuttle bus service is available from the ferry dock. Site open; lighthouse tours available daily March through September (admission fee). Operator: Commissioners
of Irish Lights (Rathlin West Lighthouse).
ARLHS NTI-012; CIL-1420; Admiralty A6064; NGA 7036.
- * Rathlin
East (Altacarry Head) Low
- 1856. Inactive since 1894. 8 m (27 ft) cylindrical cast iron lantern, painted
white, with a narrow horizontal window through which a continuous white
light was displayed. The lantern is placed beside the high light (next entry);
it can be seen in the aerial
photos of Marinas.com. Owner/site manager: Commissioners
of Irish Lights. ARLHS
Rathlin West Light, Rathlin Island, November 2009
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Theyoungones1994
- * Rathlin
East (Altacarry Head) High
- 1856. Active; focal plane 74 m (243 ft); four white flashes, separated
by 2.3 s, every 20 s. 27 m (88 ft) stone tower with lantern and
gallery, painted white with a broad black band just below the gallery.
2-story and 1-story keeper's houses and other buildings enclosed
by a stone wall. The station is maintained by an attendant. David Ford's photo is at right,
Paul McIlroy has a photo, Zoe Bowyer also has a good photo,
Marinas.com has aerial
photos, Huelse has a historic postcard
view, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Ships entering
the North Channel from the Atlantic must steer between this light
and the Mull of Kintyre Light in Scotland. The site is historic
for several reasons. In the cliffs below the lighthouse is a cave
complex where Robert the Bruce of Scotland took refuge after being
defeated by the English in 1306. Also, Marconi made experimental
radio transmissions from this site in 1898. Located at the northeastern
right-angle point of the island; accessible by hiking trail. Site
and tower closed, but the lighthouse can be viewed from outside the wall. Operator: Commissioners
of Irish Lights. ARLHS NTI-011; CIL-1390; Admiralty A6062; NGA 7032.
- 1921 (station established 1915). Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); two white flashes every 5 s. 11
m (35 ft) octagonal cylindrical concrete tower without lantern; light
displayed from a short mast. Anne Burgess has a photo, Goulding has a photo, Trabas has a distant
view, Marinas.com has aerial
photos, and Google has a good satellite view. The first light was destroyed by a storm in 1917, and the light was moved atop the fog signal tower until the present lighthouse was built. Located on the south point of the island; accessible by a hiking
trail (90 minutes one way according to Goulding). Site open, tower closed. Operator: Commissioners
of Irish Lights. ARLHS NTI-013; CIL-1400; Admiralty A6060; NGA 7028.
Larne Area Lighthouses
- West Maidens
- 1829. Inactive since 1903. 18 m (60 ft) stone tower attached to a 2-story
stone keeper's house. Lantern and gallery removed. Still serving as a daymark,
the tower was previously painted red with a white band at the top; only
traces of this paint remain. Wikimedia has a view from the sea, a 2008 distant view is
available, and Ronald Surgenor has a sunset photo.
The Maidens are a group of small rocky islands and reefs
about 20 km (13 mi) northeast of Larne; in Irish they are called Na Faoilinn (The Seagulls). The islands are not shown in Google's satellite view. Located on a tiny island roughly 1 km (0.6 mi) west of the active East Maidens
Light. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Owner/site manager:
unknown. ARLHS NTI-024.
Rathlin East High Light, Rathlin Island, July 2009
Flickr Creative Commons photo
- Maidens (East
- 1829. Active; focal plane 29 m (95 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 23 m (76 ft) stone tower with lantern and
gallery attached to 2-story stone keeper's houses. Lighthouse painted
white with a single black horizontal band. David Maxwell's 2008 photo is at the top of this page, another 2008 photo is available,
Trabas has Thomas Philipp's view from the sea, and Marinas.com has aerial
photos. The lighthouse is located
on a tiny island near the east end of the group, guarding the approach
to Larne. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Operator: Commissioners of Irish Lights. ARLHS
NTI-023; CIL-1370; Admiralty A6042; NGA 7016.
- * Chaine
Tower (Sandy Point)
- 1899 (tower built in 1888). Active; focal plane 23 m (75 ft); light
2.5 s on, 2.5 s off, white or red depending on direction. 23 m (75
ft) stone tower with a conical roof; light shown through a window.
The tower is floodlit at night. Anne Burgess's photo is at right, Goulding has a page for the lighthouse, Trabas has a closeup photo,
Bernie McAllister has a nighttime photo, Irene Cropper has a 2018 photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view.
Known locally as The Pencil, this unusual tower was built as a daybeacon
by the Larne Harbour Board in 1888. It served as a memorial to James
Chaine (1841-1885) a member of Parliament who had worked for harbor improvements
at Larne. The Commissioners of Irish Lights assumed ownership in
1899 when a light was installed. From 1905 to 1935 the lighthouse
was fueled automatically with coal gas. Located just off Sandy Point
on the west side of the entrance to Larne Lough, connected to the
mainland by a short causeway. Site open, tower closed. Operator:
Commissioners of Irish Lights. ARLHS
NTI-004; Admiralty A6031; NGA 6984.
- * Ferris
Point (Larne Lough, Ferres Point) (3?)
- Date unknown (station established 1839). Inactive. Approx. 15 m (50 ft)
square cylindrical tower supporting a large square, glass-enclosed control
room. Tower painted white; control room appears black from a distance. Marinas.com
has aerial photos,
the tower appears at the far right in the photo of Chaine Tower at right, and Google has a satellite view and a distant street view.
This is the harbor control tower for Larne, a major port. The tower replaced
a traditional light station and formerly carried a navigational light;
the light became redundant when a directional light was installed in the
Chaine Tower (previous entry) on the other side of the harbor entrance. The original light was described as a white tower, and a postcard view of what may be the second lighthouse is available. A former
CIL web page for Chaine Tower (no longer online) implied that Ferris Point Light was in operation
at least as late as 1994. Located at the east side of the narrow entrance
to Larne Lough. There are good views from ferries connecting
Larne to several ports in Scotland. Site open, tower closed. Owner/operator:
Larne Harbour, Ltd. ARLHS NTI-006.
Chaine Tower, Larne, May 2007
Geograph Creative Commons
photo by Anne Burgess
- [Barr Point Fog Signal]
- 1905. Inactive since 2006. 5 m (17 ft) rectangular 1-story fog signal building,
painted white. Google has a satellite view.
Located near the 7th green of the Larne Golf Club, about 800 m (1/2 mi) north of Ferris Point on the east side of
the entrance to Larne Lough directly opposite the Chaine Tower. Site and building closed. Site manager: Larne Golf Club. ex-Admiralty A6030; ex-NGA 6976.
Carrickfergus Area Lighthouses
- ** Blackhead Antrim
- 1902 (William Douglass). Active; focal plane 45 m (148 ft); white flash every 3 s. 15.5 m
(51 ft) octagonal cylindrical granite tower with lantern and gallery attached
by a covered walkway to 2-story keeper's house. Additional keeper's houses
and other buildings preserved. Three keeper's houses are available for vacation rental. Albert Bridge's photo appears at the top of this page, Bridge also has a closeup, Goulding's page has several photos, Trabas
has a beautiful photo,
a 2010 view from the sea is available, Marinas.com has aerial
photos, Huelse has a historic postcard
view, Alan Welsh has a street view, and Google has a satellite view. CIL calls this lighthouse Blackhead Antrim because it also maintains the Blackhead Clare Light in County Clare. In January 2010 the Environment Agency announced plans to
list the station as a historic site. In 2013 CIL announced plans to designate the lighthouse as one of the Great Lighthouses of Ireland and to develop the light station with accommodations for overnight rental. Located atop a spectacular vertical
cliff on a sharp headland at the northern entrance to Belfast Lough.
Accessible by road off the B150 highway about 4 km (2.5 mi) north of
White Head. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Commissioners
of Irish Lights (Blackhead Antrim Lighthouse).
Site manager (keepers houses): Irish Landmark Trust.
ARLHS NTI-003; CIL-1280; Admiralty A6028; NGA 6972.
Belfast City Lightbeacon
- ** [Mew Island Lens ("The Great Light")]
- 1887. A decorative light is displayed. This original F. Barbier hyper-radiant Fresnel lens was first installed at Tory Island in 1887; it was re-installed at Mew Island in 1928. In 2015 Irish Lights offered the giant lens to the Titanic Foundation in Belfast, and negotiations began on how it could be displayed. The lens was removed in November 2015. The Titanic Museum in Belfast applied to the Heritage Lottery Fund for funds to restore the lens, and it went on display starting in March 2018 in a special structure on the Belfast waterfront. Paul O'Hara has a 2018 closeup photo, another closeup photo is available, but the lens doesn't appear yet in Google's satellite view. Located in the Titanic Quarter. Site open.
County Down Lighthouses
- Ards Area Lighthouses
- 1884. Active; focal plane 37 m (121 ft); four white flashes, separated
by 5 s, every 30 s. 37.5 m (123 ft) stucco-covered rubblestone tower with
lantern and gallery, painted with black and white horizontal bands. Rubblestone
keeper's houses and other buildings. The great hyper-radiant Fresnel lens installed in 1928 was removed in 2014 and is on display in Belfast (see above). A 2007 photo is
available, John Grant has a November 2008 photo, Goulding's page has distant views, Marinas.com has aerial
photos, and Bing has a satellite view of the station. This lighthouse, which replaced a lower tower on nearby Lesser
Copeland Island, marks the beginning of the approach to Belfast for ships
coming from the south and east. There were onshore keeper's houses at Donaghadee.
Located on Mew Island, a small island
about 10 km (6 mi) north of Donaghadee. Accessible only by boat. Site and
tower closed. Operator: Commissioners of Irish
Lights. ARLHS NTI-009; CIL-1260; Admiralty A5976; NGA 6792.
- * [Copeland Island (Lighthouse
- 1815 (station established early 1700s). Inactive since 1884. 5 m (17 ft) stump of a 16 m (52 ft) stone tower, with the ruins of the keeper's
house and a modern house built as a bird observatory. A closeup photo is available, and Bing has a satellite view of the station. The lighthouse was abandoned in favor of the Mew Island Light to
the north. The island is now owned by the National Trust and managed
by the Royal Society for the Preservation of Birds. Overnight accommodations
are available. Located on Lesser Copeland Island, also called Lighthouse
Island, an island just southwest of Mew Island and about 7 km (4 mi) north
of Donaghadee. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed.
Trust Northern Ireland. Site manager: Copeland Bird Observatory. ARLHS NTI-031.
- * Donaghadee
- 1836. Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); white light, 2 s on, 2
s off; red light is shown over shallow water along the shore to
the southeast. 16 m (53 ft) limestone tower with lantern and gallery,
painted white. Fog siren (blast every 12 s) sounds only when ships
are expected. A photo is at right, Trabas has an
Matthew Johnston has a lovely photo of a rainbow over the lighthouse, a good 2008 photo is
available, Marinas.com has aerial
photos, Huelse has a historic postcard
view, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. The lighthouse
was repaired after being heavily damaged by fire on 12 May 1900.
In October 1934 the light was the first in Ireland to be converted
to electric power. Located at the end of the South Pier at Donaghadee,
15 km (9 mi) east of Bangor. Accessible by walking the pier. Site
open, tower closed. Operator: Commissioners
of Irish Lights. ARLHS NTI-005; CIL-1210; Admiralty A5974; NGA 6788.
- South Rock (Kilwarlin)
- 1797 (Thomas Rogers). Inactive since 1877. 18 m (60 ft) round granite tower
with gallery; no lantern. Jimmy Kelly has posted a photo,
a 2007 photo also shows the South Rock lightship, and Michael Parry has a distant view.
This is the oldest surviving waveswept lighthouse in Ireland and surely one
of the oldest in the world. It was originally called the Kilwarlin light
after its chief patron, Lord Kilwarlin. The light was replaced by the South
Rock Lightship in 1877. The lantern was stolen by well-equipped thieves in
1972. Located off Portavogie and about 5 km (3 mi) northeast of Kearney. Accessible only by
boat. Site and tower closed. Owner: Commissioners
of Irish Lights. ARLHS NTI-026; CIL-1150.
- * [Newcastle Shore Station]
- 1820. Closed 1905. Four keeper's houses, three built in 1820 and the fourth
in 1863. No photo available. These cottages housed families of keepers of the offshore South
Rock Light. After the lighthouse was deactivated in 1877, they housed off-duty
crew members of the South Rock Lightship. The houses survive in private
ownership. Located in Newcastle, north of Kearney on the Ards Peninsula.
Owner/site manager: private.
Donaghadee Light, Donaghadee, April 2010
Geograph Creative Commons photo
- [Pladdy Lug (4?)]
- 1926 (station established at least by 1782). Unlit daybeacon. 10 m (33 ft) octagonal cylindrical stone tower with a stepped pyramidal top, faced with white-glazed brick. Eric Jones has a photo, and the Portaferry Lifeboat station has a photo (halfway down the page) showing a yacht wrecked next to the beacon in 2003. A stock photo is also available, and Bing has a satellite view. The reef was originally marked by a perch (post). A stone beacon built in 1875 washed away in 1884 and was replaced with another perch. The present tower was built after that perch was washed away by a storm in 1925. Located at the western end of a dangerous reef extending from Ballyquinton Point on the east side of the entrance to Strangford Lough. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. CIL-1110.
Down Area Lighthouses
- * Lightship Petrel
- 1915. Decommissioned 1968. 34
m (111 ft) single-masted steel lightship; the light was shown from
a large lantern atop the mainmast. Entire ship painted red. Albert Bridge's 2008 photois at right,
Brian Shaw has a photo, Goulding's page has two photos, Marinas.com has aerial
photos, and Google has a street view and a satellite view.
Built at the Dublin Dockyard, the ship served on numerous stations
in Irish waters; her last station was off the River Blackwater, Wexford. After decommissioning, the ship was first sold to
Hammond Lane Foundries, which then resold her to the Down Cruising
Club at a nominal profit. The ship has been the club's headquarters
since 1969. In 2014 it was registered as a historic vessel. Berthed near Ballydorn, northeast of Killinchy, on the
west side of Strangford Lough. Site open, vessel open only to club members and guests. Owner/site manager: Down Cruising Club. ARLHS NTI-010.
- Killyleagh (Town Rock)
- 2011 (light added to 19th century tower). Active; focal plane 3 m (10 ft) (?); two flashes every 5 s, white, red or green depending on direction. Approx. 8 m (26 ft) round cylindrical red brick tower. Fires were sometimes lit atop this beacon, but it was primarily a daybeacon until the modern directional light was added in 2011. Google has a street view from shore, and Bing has a satellite view. Located in Stangford Lough about 250 m (275 yd) off Killyleagh. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS NTI-019; Admiralty A5965.6.
Lightship Petrel, Ballydorn, February 2008
Geograph Creative Commons photo by Albert Bridge
- 1983. Active; focal plane 15 m (48 ft); red flash every 5 s. 13 m
(42 ft) masonry tower with gallery but no lantern, painted white with
a red band at the top. Solar-powered VLB 38 lens. Trabas has a closeup photo,
Marinas.com has aerial
photos, and Bing has a satellite view. This tower was built as a daybeacon sometime in
the late nineteenth century; there are mentions of it as early as 1885.
A 1917 coast pilot asserts that the tower was originally intended to
be for a lighthouse. More information is needed. Located on a low rocky
islet off The Narrows, the entrance to Strangford Lough, southeast
of Strangford. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Operator: Commissioners
of Irish Lights.
ARLHS NTI-001; CIL-1120; Admiralty A5963.3; NGA 6768.
- * Ardglass Pier (3?)
- 1885 (station established 1813). Active; focal plane 10 m (34
ft); directional light 2 s on, 2 s off, white, red or green depending
on direction. 9.5 m (29 ft) cylindrical cast iron tower with domed
lantern and gallery, painted white, mounted on a concrete base.
Trabas has a good photo,
Wikimedia has several photos, Eric Jones has a distant view, Marinas.com has aerial
photos, Google has a street view across the harbor, and Bing has a distant satellite view. The original lighthouse is said to have blown down
in a storm in 1838. Findlay's 1879 light list has a light at the harbor with an establishment date of 1851. Located at the end of the North (Inner) Pier at
Ardglass. Accessible by walking the pier, which serves as a dock for
the local fishing fleet. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Northern
Ireland Fishery Harbour Authority. ARLHS NTI-029; Admiralty A5962;
- * St.
- 1844 (height nearly tripled in 1893). Active; focal plane 37 m (120
ft); two quick white flashes every 7.5 s; there is also an auxiliary
light at a focal plane of 14 m (45 ft), showing a white or red flash,
depending on direction, every 3 s. The light is also shown by day in
foggy weather. 39.5 m (130 ft) tower with lantern and gallery; bivalve
Fresnel lens. Tower painted with black and yellow horizontal bands;
lantern painted white. Four keeper's houses; one of them is occupied by
a resident keeper, one is used for storage, and the other two are available for overnight accommodations. The fog horn was deactivated in 2011. A
2009 photo is at right, Trabas has a closeup photo,
Dougie Mariea has a nice 2017 photo,
Marinas.com has aerial
photos, and Google has a distant street view and a satellite view of the station. This is one of CIL's Twelve Great Lighthouses of Ireland. The original lighthouse, designed by George Halpin, had
a height of 14 m (45 ft). One of the most complete light stations surviving
in Ireland. In 2013 CIL announced plans to develop the light station with accommodations for overnight rental. In 2015 CIL announced plans to replace the historic rotating Fresnel lens with a modern LED light; this sparked protests throughout the area. In response to the uproar, CIL agreed to postpone any change for two years while engineers study other ways to safely remove the mercury used to rotate the lens. The two keeper's houses were renovated in 2016 and opened for vacation rental in 2017. Located about 5 km (3 mi) south
of Killough, marking the entrance to Dundrum Bay. Accessible by a short
walk from the end of the road, where parking is available. Site and
tower closed, but the lighthouse can be viewed from outside the wall
of the compound. Operator: Commissioners
of Irish Lights (St. John's Point Lighthouse). Site manager (keepers houses): Irish Landmark Trust. ARLHS NTI-022; CIL-1050; Admiralty A5958; NGA 6756.
St. John's Point Light, Killough, October 2009
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Ardfern
Newry and Mourne Area Lighthouses
- 1820s (?). Inactive for many years. Approx. 5 m (17 ft) round white stone tower. Eric Jones has a photo, Google has a street view, and Bing has a satellite view. Jones writes that "In the old days a light used to be placed in the pepper-pot style white tower to assist ships wishing to enter the harbour." Peter Goulding visited this site and learned that there were originally two towers that functioned as a range for the narrow harbor entrance. Located on the south side of the Annalong River in Annalong. Site and tower closed (private property), but the light can be seen from nearby.
- [Cranfield Point]
- 1803. Inactive since 1824 (?). A stone lighthouse on Cranfield Point marked the entrance to Carlingford Lough before the Haulbowline lighthouse (next entry) was built. The lighthouse was lost to beach erosion in the 1860s, but the keeper's house continued in use as a shore station for Haulbowline until 1922. The cottage survives today, in private ownership. Google has a satellite view. Located on the north side of the entrance to the lough (this is the southernmost point of Northern Ireland). Site and tower closed (private property).
- 1824. Active; focal plane 32 m (105 ft); three white flashes every
10 s. 34 m (111 ft) tapered granite
tower, with lantern and gallery, incorporating keeper's quarters and
resting on a square base. The former fog horn was deactivated in 2009. The tower is unpainted;
lantern painted white. Terry Stewart's 2009 photo shows a secondary
lantern halfway up the tower; until 1922 this lantern displayed a
"half tide" light to inform mariners that the tide was high
enough for vessels to enter the lough. In addition, from 1873 to 2008 a continuous red "turning light" marking the start
of the Carlingford Lough entrance channel was displayed from one of the lower windows of the tower. Anthony Cranney's photo is at
right, Trabas also has a photo,
Goulding has a page with many 2014 photos, Marinas.com has aerial
photos, and Bing has a satellite
view. This lighthouse is built on a dangerous rock, exposed only
at low tide. The shore station was at Cranfield Point until 1922 and
then at Greencastle. This was the first Irish offshore light to be
automated, in 1965. Located in the middle of the entrance to Carlingford
Lough, just on the northern side of the border between Ireland and
Northern Ireland. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Operator: Commissioners
of Irish Lights. ARLHS NTI-035; CIL-1020; Admiralty A5928; NGA 6704.
- Haulbowline Range Front (Vidal Bank)
- Date unknown. Active; focal plane 7 m (23 ft); white light occulting
once every 3 s. 8 m (26 ft) octagonal skeletal tower with square metal
watch (equipment) room topped by a gallery; red triangular daymark
on the range line. Upper portion of tower painted white, lower portion
green. Trabas has a photo,
and Bing has a satellite
view. Located about 500 m (0.4 mi) northwest of the Haulbowline
lighthouse. Accessible only by boat; good views from the Northern Ireland
shore near Cranfield Point. Site and tower closed. Operator: Commissioners
of Irish Lights. ARLHS NTI-016; CIL-1030; Admiralty A5932; NGA 6708.
- Haulbowline Range Rear (Green Island)
- Date unknown. Active; focal plane 12 m (40 ft); white light occulting
once every 3 s. 14 m (46 ft) octagonal skeletal tower with square metal
watch (equipment) room topped by a gallery; red triangular daymark
on the range line. Upper 1/3 of tower painted white, lower 2/3 green.
Trabas has a good photo,
Ken Crozier has a photo of this light and the Haulbowline lighthouse, and Bing has a satellite
view. Located in Carlingford Lough about 460 m (0.4 mi) west northwest
of the front light. Accessible only by boat; good views from the Northern
Ireland shore near Cranfield Point. Site and tower closed. Operator: Commissioners
of Irish Lights. ARLHS NTI-015; CIL-1040; Admiralty A5934; NGA 6712.
Haulbowline Light, Carlingford Lough, May 2011
Flickr Creative Commons photo by
Anthony Cranney Photography
Information available on lost lighthouses:
- Grey Point (Belfast Lough) (1848-?), on the Hollywood Bank on the south side of the entrance. Sadly, nothing remains of this screwpile lighthouse. NTI-032.
- Victoria Channel (1891-?), one of three pile lighthouses marking a channel in Belfast Lough. ARLHS NTI-033.
Notable faux lighthouses:
Adjoining pages: North: Southwestern Scotland | East: Isle of Man | South: Eastern Ireland | West: Western Ireland
Return to the Lighthouse Directory
index | Ratings
Posted November 29, 2004. Checked and revised August 22, 2018. Lighthouses: 23, lightships: 1. Site copyright 2018 Russ Rowlett and
the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.