Lighthouses of Canada: Southwestern Québec (Montérégie)

This page covers lighthouses of southwestern Québec in the region of Montérégie, south of the St. Lawrence River opposite the metropolitan Montréal area. The St. Lawrence is one of the world's greatest inland waterways: ocean-going ships sail the river to Montréal and many continue on the St. Lawrence Seaway to the Great Lakes.

(Officially the Montérégie Region also includes the Vaudreuil-Soulanges Municipality north of the river. Lighthouses of that area are described on the Western Québec page.)

The lighthouses of southwestern Québec are certainly among the least well known of all Canadian lighthouses. In fact, many of them don't seem to have been known at all until recent years. Special thanks are due to the late Michel Forand for his help in compiling these listings.

Aids to navigation in Canada are maintained by the Canadian Coast Guard. In 2008 Parliament passed the Heritage Lighthouse Protection Act to designate and protect historic lighthouses. In 2010 the Coast Guard declared the great majority of lighthouses to be surplus, and there is fear that this may lead to the disposal and possible destruction of many lighthouses. This fear is particularly acute along the St. Lawrence, where the small lighthouses do not enjoy the support of local preservation groups. In fact, dozens of lighthouses have already been lost in this region.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. CCG numbers are from the Atlantic Coast portion of the List of Lights, Buoys, and Fog Signals of Fisheries and Oceans Canada for most lighthouses, and from the Inland Waters list for lights in and west of Montréal. Admiralty numbers are from Volume H of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA numbers are from Publication 110.

General Sources
Quebec, Canada Lighthouses
Photos and text, including travel directions, by Kraig Anderson.
Quebec, Canada Lighthouses
Fine aerial photos posted by Marinas.com.
Quebec
Photos of Québec lighthouses taken in 2008 and posted by C.W. Bash.
Lighthouses in Quebec
Photos by various photographers available from Wikimedia.
Online List of Lights - Canada
Photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas. Most of the photos for the St. Lawrence are by Michael Boucher.
Leuchttürme Kanadas auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard views posted by Klaus Huelse.
List of Lights, Buoys, and Fog Signals
Official Canadian light lists.
GPSNauticalCharts
Navigation chart information for the Sr. Lawrence.

Île Sainte-Thérèse Range Front Light
Île Sainte-Thérèse Upper Range Front Light, Varennes, September 2011
photo copyright Jon Clay; used by permission


Longue Pointe Traverse Upstream Range Front Light, Longueuil
photo copyright Michael Boucher; used by permission

Le-Haut-Saint-Laurent (Upper St. Lawrence) Municipality Lighthouses
Saint-Anicet (South Gulby) West Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 10.5 m (34 ft); continuous white light. 10.5 m (34 ft) round white concrete tower carrying a triangular slatted daymark painted orange with a black vertical stripe. Trabas has Boucher's distant view and Google has a satellite view. This range guides vessels on a long upstream reach. The rear light is in Ontario waters. Located in the river about 1.6 km (1 mi) northwest of Lancaster Bar. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. CCG Inland Waters 0114.1; Admiralty H2551; NGA 6184.
Pointe Dupuis Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); continuous yellow light. 19 m (62 ft) square skeletal tower carrying a daymark colored orange with a black vertical stripe. Trabas has Boucher's fuzzy view from the river and Google has a street view and a satellite view. The range guides vessels downstream. Located off QC 132 at the end of 101st Avenue in Saint-Anicet. The light stands surrounded by private property, but it can be seen from the end of the public portion of the street. Site and tower closed. CCG Inland Waters 0112; Admiralty H2548.1; NGA 6156.
Île Chrétien Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); continuous red light. 16 m (59 ft) square skeletal tower carrying a daymark colored orange with a black vertical stripe. Trabas has Boucher's distant view of the two range lights and Google has a satellite view. The range guides vessels upstream. Located on the northeastern tip of Île Chrétien, a small island off Saint-Anicet. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. CCG Inland Waters 0105; Admiralty H2545.1; NGA 6124.
Saint Anicet (Port Louis Flats) Downstream Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 22 m (72 ft); continuous white light. 23 m (75 ft) round cylindrical steel tower mounted on a round concrete pier. Trabas has Boucher's photo and Google has a satellite view. This range guides eastbound vessels in the Seaway channel. The front light is on a tower with a focal plane of 12 m (39 ft). Located in the middle of the St. Lawrence about 2 km (1.25 mi) east of Pointe Beaudette. Accessible only by boat. CCG Inland Waters 0099.5; Admiralty H2550.1; NGA 6100.

Saint-Anicet Downstream Range Rear Light, Pointe Beaudette
photo copyright Michael Boucher; used by permission

Beauharnois-Salaberry Municipality Lighthouses
These lights guide vessels in the Beauharnois Canal, an important link in the St. Lawrence Seaway. The canal is 24 km (15 mi) long, connecting Lac Saint-Louis downstream with Lac Saint-François upstream.
* #Beauharnois Upper Entrance Range Rear (1)
Date unknown. Replaced around 2017; focal plane 28 m (92 ft); continuous green light. This was a 28 m (92 ft) square skeletal tower carrying a daymark colored orange with a black vertical stripe. Trabas has Boucher's photo and Google has a May 2016 street view. A July 2018 street view shows that the skeletal tower has been replaced by a steel mast. Google has an indistinct satellite view. The range guides vessels sailing downstream on the Seaway into the western entrance to the Beauharnois Canal. Located just west of the intersection of Chemin Larocque and Rue Daoust in Salaberry-de-Valleyfield. Site open, tower closed. CCG Inland Waters 0076; Admiralty H2538.1; NGA 5988.
St. Louis Bridge Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); continuous yellow light. 18 m (59 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower carrying a daymark colored orange with a black vertical stripe. Trabas has Boucher's photo and Google has a satellite view. The range guides vessels upstream south of the St. Louis Bridge (Autoroute 30). Located on the south side of the Beauharnois Canal about 3 km (2 mi) southwest of the bridge. Site status unknown. CCG Inland Waters 0042; Admiralty H2531.1; NGA 5844.
Powerhouse Range Rear (2)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 23 m (75 ft); continuous white light. 20 m (66 ft) triangular skeletal tower carrying a daymark colored orange with a black vertical stripe. Trabas has Boucher's photo and Google has a satellite view. The range guides vessels downstream in the Canal. Located on the south side of the Beauharnois Canal about 1.5 km (0.9 mi) southwest of the St. Louis Bridge. Site status unknown. CCG Inland Waters 0037.1; Admiralty H2530.1; NGA 5820.
Upper Beauharnois Lock Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); continuous yellow light. 16 m (52 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower carrying a daymark colored orange with a black vertical stripe. Trabas has Boucher's photo and Google has a satellite view. The range guides vessels downstream into the lock at the east entrance of the Canal. Located adjacent to the lock. Site status unknown. CCG Inland Waters 0034; Admiralty H2528.1; NGA 5804.

Longueuil City Lighthouses
* Longue Pointe Traverse Upstream Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); green light, 1 s on, 1 s off, visible only on the range line. 9 m (30 ft) round steel tower with lantern and gallery, painted white and carrying a daymark colored orange with a black vertical stripe. Trabas has Boucher's photo (also seen at the top of this page), Benoît L'Heureux has a good street view, and Google has a satellite view. The original Longue Pointe Traverse Range Lights were on the west side of the river in Montréal; they guided vessels proceeding downstream. Sometime between 1977 and 1994 those lights were discontinued and new lights were placed at the opposite end of the range to guide vessels proceeding upstream. These lights are located in the Parc de la Pointe du Marigot. Located at the riverbank in Longueuil opposite the southern tip of Île Verte. Accessible by park walking trails, and in the winter the light can be seen from the Autoroute 20 (René Lévesque) freeway. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Ville de Longueuil. ARLHS CAN-1120; CCG 2361; Admiralty H2497; NGA 5564.
* Longue Pointe Traverse Upstream Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 20.5 m (67 ft); green light, 1 s on, 1 s off, visible only on the range line. 13 m (43 ft) round unpainted steel tower with lantern and gallery. Trabas has Boucher's photo (also seen at right) and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Located beside the Autoroute 20 (René Lévesque) freeway 190 m (625 ft) south of the front light. Accessible by park walking trails. Site open; tower closed. Site manager: Ville de Longueuil. ARLHS CAN-1121; CCG 2362; Admiralty H2497.1; NGA 5568.

Longue Pointe Traverse Upstream Range Rear Light, Longueuil
photo copyright Michael Boucher; used by permission
Route Longue Pointe (Longue Point Course, Grand Battures Thaihandier) Range Rear (2)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); white light, 1 s on, 1 s off. 19 m (62) square cylindrical skeletal tower painted white and carrying a daymark colored orange with a black vertical stripe. No photo available but Google has a satellite view. This range guides ships northward toward Montréal. This tower replaced a round cylindrical tower. Located on the low island of Grand Battures Thaihandier off Boucherville. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. CCG 2364; Admiralty H2499.1; NGA 5576.

Marguerite-D'Youville Municipality (Contrecoeur-Verchères Area) Lighthouses
Île Sainte-Thérèse Upper Range Front (4)
Date unknown (station established 1879). Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); continuous green light. 12 m (39 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and double gallery. Tower painted white; there is a daymark painted red with a black vertical stripe between the two galleries. The lantern is gray metallic. Jon Clay contributed the photo at the top of this page, Trabas has Boucher's photo, and Google has a satellite view. Anderson has a historic photo of the second lighthouse, built in 1924. This range guides vessels downstream leaving Montréal. The range towers were relocated in 1884. Located on the east bank of the Île aux Vaches, a smaller island southeast of the Île Sainte-Thérèse, in Varennes. Accessible only by boat; there is a distant view from the boat ramp in Varennes. Site status unknown. CCG 2346; Admiralty H2490; NGA 5512.
Île Sainte-Thérèse Upper Range Rear (4)
Date unknown (station established 1879). Active; focal plane 27 m (89 ft); continuous green light. 22 m (72 ft) square skeletal mast mounted on a robust pentagonal concrete pier. Tower painted white, carrying a trapezoidal slatted daymark painted red with a black vertical stripe. Trabas has Boucher's photo and Google has a satellite view. The pier has a pointed end to break up ice floes. Anderson has a historic photo of the original lighthouse. Located just off the east bank of the Île Sainte-Thérèse in Varennes. Accessible only by boat; there is a distant view from the boat ramp in Varennes. Site status unknown. CCG 2347; Admiralty H2490.1; NGA 5516.
[Île Sainte-Thérèse Lower Range Front (4?)]
Date unknown (station established 1871). Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); continuous green light. 4 m (13 ft) post carrying an orange slatted daymark with a black vertical stripe on the range line. Trabas has Boucher's photo and Google has a satellite view. A square wood tower, built in 1889, was replaced by a second wood tower in 1924. There is a historic photo of the 1924 light. Located on the east side of Île Sainte-Thérèse opposite Varennes. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. CCG 2335; Admiralty H2484; NGA 5448.
Île Sainte-Thérèse Lower Range Rear (4?)
Date unknown (station established 1871). Active; focal plane 18 m (59 ft); continuous green light. 13 m (43 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower carrying an orange slatted daymark with a black vertical stripe on the range line. Trabas has Boucher's photo and Google has a satellite view. The historic photo of the front light shows the previous rear light in the distance. Located on the east side of Île Sainte-Thérèse opposite Varennes. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS CAN-1111; CCG 2336; Admiralty H2484.1; NGA 5452.

Île Sainte-Thérèse Upper Range Rear Light, Varennes
photo copyright Michael Boucher; used by permission
Île Deslauriers Range Rear (3?)
Date unknown (station established 1902). Active; focal plane 32 m (105 ft); green light, 1 s on, 1 s off. 27 m (89 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower carrying an orange slatted daymark with a black vertical stripe. Trabas has Boucher's view from across the river and Google has a satellite view. This is an upstream range. The front light is on a much smaller tower. Located on the east side of the lower Île Sainte-Thérèse (this portion known as Île Deslauriers). Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS CAN-1100; CCG 2331; Admiralty H2482.1; NGA 5408.
Verchères Village Range Rear
1902. Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); continuous green light. 20 m (66 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with gallery. The tower carries an orange slatted daymark with a black vertical stripe on the range line. Larry Myhre's photo is at the bottom of this page, Trabas has Boucher's photo and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Located on the southwest side of Verchères, off QC 132 near the Rue de St.-Alexandre, about 635 m (0.4 mi) southwest of the front light. Site and tower closed (private property), but the light can be seen from the foot of the Rue de l'Aqueduc. CCG 2320; Admiralty H2476.1; NGA 5356.
* Verchères Village Range Front (2)
1929 (station established 1902). Active; focal plane 9.5 m (32 ft); continuous green light. 6 m (20 ft) square skeletal tower with square wooden lantern. Tower painted white; roof and front face of lantern painted red. The tower also carries a slatted trapezoidal daymark, painted red with a black vertical stripe on the range line. Bash's photo is at right, Trabas has Boucher's photo, Larry Myhre has a view from the river, another photo is available, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Located on the east breakwater at Verchères, on the southeast side of the river about 25 km (15 mi) northeast of Montréal. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1206; CCG 2319; Admiralty H2476; NGA 5352.
Verchères Traverse Range Front (4)
1967 (station established 1902). Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); continuous green light. 12.5 m (41 ft) post carrying an orange slatted daymark with a black vertical stripe. Trabas has Boucher's photo, Lighthouse Digest also has a photo, and Google has a satellite view and a street view through trees. The original front light was replaced in 1909. In 1946 it was moved to the windmill that had carried the rear light. Located at the river's edge about 3 km (1.8 mi) northeast of Verchères. Site and tower closed (private property). Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1342; CCG 2317; Admiralty H2478; NGA 5364.
* Verchères Traverse Range Rear (4)
Date unknown (station established 1902). Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); continuous green light. 16 m (52 ft) square skeletal mast carrying an orange slatted daymark with a vertical black stripe. Trabas has Boucher's photo and Google has a street view and a satellite view. The light was originally placed atop the round tower of a former windmill; Anderson has Michel Forand's closeup historic photo. In 1946 the front light was moved to the windmill and a skeletal tower was built for the rear light. This was replaced by a tall mast, seen on the Lighthouse Digest page, in 1972. Located beside QC 132 about 500 m (0.3 mi) northeast of the front light. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1343; CCG 2318; Admiralty H2478.1; NGA 5368.
Verchères Village Range Front Right
Verchères Village Range Front Light, Verchères, June 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo by C.W. Bash
Contrecoeur Traverse Range Rear (2?)
Date unknown (station established 1904). Active; focal plane 28 m (92 ft); continuous green light. 22.5 m (74 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with lantern and gallery. The tower carries an orange slatted daymark with a black vertical stripe on the range line. Bing has a satellite view. Located in the Contrecoeur Marine Terminal, a bulk materials port on the south side of the river about 4 km (2.5 mi) southwest of Contrecoeur and 1725 m (1.07 mi) southwest of the front light. Site and tower closed (industrial area). Site manager: Logistec Corporation. CCG 2313; Admiralty H2470.1; NGA 5304.
Contrecoeur Traverse Range Front (2?)
Date unknown (station established 1904). Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); continuous green light. 11.5 m (38 ft) round cylindrical tower carrying an orange daymark with a black vertical stripe. Bing has a satellite view. Located on the north side of the Contrecoeur Marine Terminal. Site and tower closed (industrial area). Site manager: Logistec Corporation. CCG 2312; Admiralty H2470; NGA 5300.
Contrecoeur-Verchères Range Front (2)
Date unknown (station established 1903). Active; focal plane 10 m (31 ft); continuous green light visible only on the range line. 7 m (23 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower with lantern and gallery, mounted on a square pyramidal concrete pier. The tower also carries a trapezoidal slatted daymark painted orange with a black vertical stripe on the range line. Trabas has Boucher's photo, Lighthouse Digest has a closeup photo, and Bing has a fuzzy satellite view. Anderson has a historic photo of the original light, which was mounted on the same pier. Located on a marshy island in the Îles de Contrecoeur National Wildlife Area northwest of Contrecoeur. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Owner: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1260; CCG 2315; Admiralty H2472; NGA 5308.
Contrecoeur-Verchères Range Rear
Date unknown (station established 1903). Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); green light, 1 s on, 1 s off; a continuous green light is shown on the range line. 16 m (52 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower with gallery. The tower carries an orange slatted daymark with a black vertical stripe on the range line. Bing has a fuzzy satellite view. Anderson has a historic photo of the original lighthouse. Located on the south bank of the river near Île Ronde, 1725 m (1.07 mi) northeast of the front light. Accessible only by boat. Owner: Canadian Coast Guard. Site manager: Îles de Contrecoeur National Wildlife Area. Site open, tower closed. CCG 2316; Admiralty H2472.1; NGA 5312.
Route Île-Saint-Ours Range Rear (2?)
Date unknown (station established 1903). Active; focal plane 33 m (108 ft); continuous green light. 18.5 m (61 ft) square skeletal mast carrying a slatted trapezoidal daymark painted orange with a black vertical stripe. Trabas has Boucher's photo (also seen at right), Google has a street view, and Bing has a satellite view. This is an upstream range. Located on the east side of QC 132 at Rue des Peupliers, a short distantance north of Contrecoeur. Site and tower closed (private property) but the tower can be seen from the highway. ARLHS CAN-1108; CCG 2283; Admiralty H2452.1; NGA 5176.

Île Saint-Ours Range Rear Light, Contrecoeur
photo copyright Michael Boucher; used by permission
[Route Île-Saint-Ours Range Front (2?)]
Date unknown (station established 1903). Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); continuous green light. 13 m (43 ft) square skeletal mast carrying a trapezoidal daymark painted orange with a black vertical stripe. Trabas has Boucher's photo and Bing has an indistinct satellite view. Located on private property west of QC 132 about 670 m (0.42 mi) north of the rear light. Site and tower closed. ARLHS CAN-1107; CCG 2282; Admiralty H2452; NGA 5172.
[Petite Traverse Range Front (2?)]
Date unknown (station established 1903). Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); continuous green light. 8 m (26 ft) round cylindrical white tower carrying a slatted daymark painted orange with a black vertical stripe. No photo available but Google has a satellite view. Anderson has a historic photo of the original lighthouse, a square pyramidal wood tower. Located on the riverbank about 800 m (1/2 mi) south of Montée St.-Roch. Site and tower closed (private property). CCG 2288; Admiralty H2454; NGA 5192.
Petite Traverse Range Rear (2?)
Date unknown (station established 1903). Active; focal plane 32 m (108 ft); continuous green light. 20.5 m (67 ft) square skeletal tower carrying a trapezoidal daymark painted orange with a black vertical stripe. Trabas has Boucher's photo and Google has an indistinct satellite view. Anderson has a historic photo of the original lighthouse, a square skeletal tower with enclosed upper portion. Located in a forest east of QC 132, 517 m (1/3 mi) northeast of the front light. Site and tower closed (private property). CCG 2289; Admiralty H2454.1; NGA 5196.
Route de Contrecoeur (Contrecoeur Course) Range Front (1)
1903. Inactive. Approx. 6 m (20 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; lantern roof is red. Boucher's photo is at right, a tree hides all but the base of the tower in Google's street view, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. Located on the east side of the river off QC 132 about 600 m (3/8 mi) north of Montée St.-Roch. Site and tower closed (private property) but the light can be seen from nearby. ARLHS CAN-965.
Route de Contrecoeur (Contrecoeur Course) Range Front (2)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 26 m (85 ft); continuous yellow light. 17.5 m (57 ft) square skeletal mast. Trabas has Boucher's photo of the new light and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Located close to the historic lighthouse. CCG 2290; Admiralty H2458; NGA 5224.
 
Route de Contrecoeur Range Rear (2?)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 42 m (138 ft); continuous yellow light. 25 m (82 ft) square skeletal tower carrying a trapezoidal daymark painted orange with a black vertical stripe. Trabas has Boucher's photo and Google has a distant street view and a distant satellite view. Located east of QC 132 about 770 m (0.48 mi) north of the front light. Site and tower closed (private property) but the light can be seen distantly from the highway. CCG 2291; Admiralty H2458.1; NGA 5228.
Route de Contrecoeur Range Front Light
Route de Contrecoeur Range Front Light, October 2014
photo copyright Michael Boucher; used by permission

Le-Haut-Richelieu Municipality (Upper Richelieu River) Lighthouse
The Richelieu River drains Lake Champlain and serves as part of an international waterway connecting the St. Lawrence to the Hudson River in New York. There were formerly a series of lighthouses along the river, but none are active today, and the Ash Island lighthouse is the only known survivor. The Richelieu flows into the St. Lawrence at Sorel-Tracy.
Cantic
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 7 m (23 ft); red light, 1 s on, 1 s off. 4 m (13 ft) mast centered on a 1-story customs building. A photo is available and Google has a satellite view. Located on the end of a pier projecting into the river a short distance north of the U.S. border. Site open, tower closed. Operator/site manager: Canadian Border Services Agency. CCG 2272.31.
Ash Island (Île Ash, Île aux Têtes) Range Front (2)
1913 (station established 1875). Inactive since 2005. 13.5 m (44 ft) square pyramidal steel skeletal tower with enclosed upper portion, lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white with red trim; lantern roof is red. Marinas.com has aerial photos and Google has a satellite view. Endangered: the abandoned lighthouse appears dilapidated in Sylvain Rancourt's 2014 photo at right. The original lighthouse was a square wooden tower attached to a small keeper's house. This was a northbound (downstream) range guiding vessels in the northernmost end of Lake Champlain as they approached Ash Island, a large island in the river at Lacolle. The rear light, 665 m (0.4 mi) north, would have been close to the present QC 202 bridge; it does not appear to have survived. Located on the south bank of the island, about 400 m (1/4 mi) south of the Lacolle railroad bridge and 5 km (3 mi) north of the U.S. border. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CAN-866.

Ash Island Range Front Light, March 2014
ex-Panoramio photo copyright Sylvain Rancourt; used by permission

Pierre-De Saurel Municipality (Sorel-Tracy Area) Lighthouses
#Sainte-Anne-de-Sorel Range Rear (2)
Around 2010 (station established 1905). Active; focal plane 31 m (102 ft); continuous green light visible only on the range line. Until recently this was a 24 m (79 ft) skeletal tower with enclosed upper portion, lantern and gallery. Anderson's photo shows that the lighthouse has been replaced by a triangular skeletal mast with gallery. The tower carries a trapezoidal slatted daymark painted red with a black vertical stripe. Trabas has Boucher's closeup photo and Google has a satellite view. Located on the south bank of the river 770 m (0.48 mi) southwest of the front light. Site and tower closed, but the light can be viewed from a nearby church. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1270; CCG 2178; Admiralty H2422.1; NGA 5076.
Sainte-Anne-de-Sorel Range Front
1905. Active; focal plane 12.5 m (41 ft); continuous green light visible only on the range line; also a green passing light (2 s on, 2 s off). 9 m (30 ft) square pyramidal wood tower, painted white with red trim. The front (downstream) face of the tower is painted orange with a black vertical stripe on the range line. Trabas has Boucher's closeup photo (also seen at right), Lighthouse Digest has a 1997 Coast Guard photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on the south bank of the river just off the Chemin du Chenal du Moine in Ste.-Anne-de-Sorel, just northeast of Sorel. Site and tower closed (surrounded by private residences). Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1269; CCG 2177; Admiralty H2422; NGA 5072.
Île de Grâce Range Front (2)
1928 (station established 1905). Active; focal plane 13 m (42 ft); continuous green light visible only on the range line; also a green passing light (1 s on, 1 s off). 9 m (30 ft) square pyramidal wood tower, painted white with red trim. The front (downstream) face of the tower is painted orange with a black vertical stripe on the range line. Trabas has Boucher's photo, Lighthouse Digest has a 1991 photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. This is a downstream range. The range lights replaced a single lighthouse built on the Île de Grâce in 1871. Anderson has a historic photo of the first front light, which was built on a concrete pier in the river. Located at the upper (southwest) end of the island, at the upper end of the Lac St.-Pierre basin about 10 km (6 mi) northeast of Sorel. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1295; CCG 2175; Admiralty H2426; NGA 5104.

Range Front Light, Sainte-Anne-de-Sorel
photo copyright Michael Boucher; used by permission
Île de Grâce Range Rear
1905. Active; focal plane 22 m (73 ft); continuous green light visible only on the range line; also a green passing light (1 s on, 1 s off). 16.5 m (54 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with lantern and enclosed watch room, mounted on a pentagonal concrete pier. Tower painted black, watch room white, lantern red; the front face of the watch room is red with a black vertical stripe on the range line. Trabas has Boucher's photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has an indistinct satellite view. Located about 600 m (0.4 mi) east northeast of the front range (next entry). Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1296; CCG 2176; Admiralty H2426.1; NGA 5108.
Île du Moine Range Front
1906. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); continuous green light visible only on the range line. 5 m (18 ft) square wood tower mounted on a square pyramidal concrete pier. Tower painted white, except the front is painted bright orange-red with a black vertical stripe on the range line. Luc Delorme's photo is at right, Trabas has Boucher's photo, Lighthouse Digest has a Coast Guard photo showing both range lights, and Google has a satellite view and a distant street view. This is a downstream range. Located at the southwestern tip of Île du Moine about 7 km (4.5 mi) east northeast of Sainte-Anne-de-Sorel. Accessible only by boat, but there's a distant view from a nearby boat ramp. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1101; CCG 2180; Admiralty H2424; NGA 5047.
Île du Moine Range Rear (2)
Date unknown (station established 1906). Active; focal plane 27.5 m (90 ft); continuous green light visible only on the range line. 18.5 m (57 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with lantern and gallery, mounted on a prow-shaped pentagonal concrete pier. The front of the tower carries a large rectangular daymark, painted bright orange-red with a black vertical stripe on the range line. Trabas has Boucher's photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. Located near the southwestern tip of Île du Moine, 490 m (0.3 mi) east of the front light (next entry). Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1102; CCG 2181; Admiralty H2424.1; NGA 5048.
Île des Barques Range Rear (3)
2011 (?) (station established 1907). Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); continuous green light visible only on the range line. Until recently this was a 20 m (66 ft) round tower with gallery, painted white, but Anderson's photo shows that the current light is on a skeletal mast with gallery. The tower also carries a trapezoidal slatted daymark, painted orange with a black vertical stripe on the range line. Marinas.com has aerial photos of the previous light and Google has a satellite view. Located 480 m (0.3 mi) southwest of the front light. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1098; CCG 2169; Admiralty H2416.1; NGA 5046.
Île du Moine Range Front Light
Île du Moine Range Front Light, Sorel, August 2010
photo copyright Luc Delorme; used by permission
Île des Barques Range Front
1907. Active; focal plane 11.5 m (37 ft); continuous green light visible only on the range line. 5 m (18 ft) square wood tower mounted on a square pyramidal concrete pier. Tower painted white, except the front is painted bright orange-red with a black vertical stripe on the range line. Lighthouse Digest has a closeup photo and Bing has a satellite view. This is an upstream range. Located on an island near the southwestern end of the Lac St.-Pierre basin about 10 km (6 mi) northeast of Sainte-Anne-de-Sorel. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1097; CCG 2168; Admiralty H2416; NGA 5044.
[Île aux Raisins Range Front (3?)]
Date unknown (station established 1843). Active; focal plane 9.5 m (31 ft); continuous green light visible only on the range line. 7 m (23 ft) post carrying a daymark painted orange with a black vertical stripe. A view of the range from the river is available and Bing has an indistinct satellite view. The original light, described as an "open-frame" tower, was replaced in 1907 by a square wood tower. Located on the Île aux Raisins, a marshy area on the south side of the river about 3 km (2 mi) northeast of the Île des Barques. Site status unknown. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1092; CCG 2166; Admiralty H2414; NGA 5028.
Île aux Raisins Range Rear (3?)
Date unknown (station established 1863). Active; focal plane 27 m (89 ft); continuous green light visible only on the range line, and also a white light, 1 s on, 1 s off. 23.5 m (77 ft) square skeletal mast carrying a daymark painted orange with a black vertical stripe. A view of the range from the river is available and Google has a satellite view. The first rear light was replaced in 1903 by a 26 m (85 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower. Located about 575 m (0.36 mi) south of the front light. Site status unknown. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. CCG 2167; Admiralty H2414.1; NGA 5032.
Gallia Bay Lower Range Rear
1907. Inactive since the 1960s. 21 m (69 ft) round cylindrical steel tower centered on a square concrete pier. Bing has a satellite view. The front light, formerly mounted on a concrete pier, has been removed. The lighthouse is deteriorating and endangered. Located on the south side of Île Lapierre about 7 km (4.5 mi) northeast of Ste.-Anne-de-Sorel. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CAN-1006.
Courbe Maskinongé (Maskinongé Curve)
1973. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); yellow light, 1 s on, 1 s off. 14 m (46 ft) cylindrical tower with double gallery but no lantern, painted with red and white horizontal bands. Anderson has Jon Clay's photo seen at right and Bing has a distant satellite view. Previously there was a helipad atop the light, as seen in a 2000 photo. Located on the south side of the channel at a bend in the middle of Lac St.-Pierre southeast of Louiseville. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1263; CCG 2153.3; Admiralty H2411; NGA 4988.

Courbe Maskinongé Light, Lac St.-Pierre
photo copyright Jon Clay; used by permission

Information available on lost lighthouses:

Verchères Village Range Rear Light
Verchères Village Range Rear Light, Verchères, May 2004
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Larry Myhre

Notable faux lighthouses:

Adjoining pages: North: Western Québec | East: Southern Québec | South: Vermont | Northwest: Southeastern Ontario

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted September 12, 2003. Checked and revised December 29, 2018. Lighthouses: 41. Site copyright 2018 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.