Lighthouses of Norway: Svalbard
an archipelago in the Arctic Ocean roughly 800 km (500 mi) north of Norway's North
Cape and a similar distance from the North Pole. Under a 1925 treaty
Svalbard is part of the Kingdom of Norway, but other countries have the
right to exploit mineral resources (meaning coal). The only nation exercising
this right is Russia, which has a mining settlement of about 600 residents
at Barentsburg. The Norwegian town Longyearbyen, with a population of
about 1800, is the northernmost town in the world. Both Barentsburg and
Longyearbyen are on the Isfjord, which cuts across the main island from
west to east. In recent years Svalbard has become accessible by adventure
All the lighthouses are on Spitsbergen, the largest island of the Svalbard
archipelago. (In fact, the entire territory is sometimes called Spitsbergen.)
In Norway a lighthouse is simply called a fyr (fire). Aids to
navigation are maintained by the Kystverket (Coast Directorate), an agency of the Ministry of Transport and Communications.
ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS
World List of Lights. NF numbers are from the Norsk Fyrliste.
Admiralty numbers are from volume L of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog
Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 115.
- General Sources
- Online List of Lights - Norway
- Photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas.
- Lighthouses in Svalbard
- Photos by various photographers available from Wikimedia.
- World of Lighthouses - Norway
- Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
- Norsk Fyrliste
- The official Norwegian light list can be downloaded in six .pdf volumes.
- Navigation chart information for Svalbard.
Akseløya Light, Bellsund
Kystverket photo from 2011 Norsk Fyrliste
- Southern Spitsbergen Lighthouses
- Date unknown. Actove; focal plane 7 m (23 ft); white flash every 2 s. Approx. 5 m (17 ft) tower. No photo available but Google has an indistinct satellite view. Skjemmeneset is the southern tip of Spitsbergen island. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. NF-9985; Admiralty L4300.5.
- Date unknown. Active (unofficial); white light. Post light attached
to one corner of one of the buildings of the Polish Arctic Station. Wikimedia has a closeup photo and Łukasz Koźma has more distant view, but Google has only a faint satellite view of the station. This light
is not listed as an official aid to navigation but it obviously helps to
guide vessels arriving at the station. Located on the north side of
the Hornsund (Isbjørnhamn), a fjord entrance about 100 km (60 mi) south of Bellsund.
Site open, tower closed.
- Kapp Martin (Bellsund)
- 1946. Active; focal plane 18 m (59 ft); two white flashes every 10
s. 12 m (39 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with an enclosed upper
portion. Lighthouse painted black, enclosure red. A white band mentioned
by the Admiralty and by NGA is not seen in Manfred Bartels's photo.
Google has a distant satellite view. Located on the cape on the north side of
the entrance to the Bellsund, about 50 km (30 mi) south of Kapp Linné.
Probably accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SVA-009;
NF-9956; Admiralty L4302; NGA 17816.
- Date unknown. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); white flash every
5 s. 7 m (23 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with an enclosed upper
portion. Lighthouse painted black, enclosure red. A Kystverket photo is at the top of this page, Manfred Bartels has
a 2017 photo is available, and the light is barely visible in Google's much-too-dark satellite
is a long, narrow island that blocks most of the entrance to the Van
Milenfjord from the Bellsund. Located at the northern point of the
island. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SVA-006;
NF-9958; Admiralty L4304; NGA 17820.
- Isfjord (Kapp Linné)
- 1933. Active; focal plane 21 m (69 ft); white light every 5 s. 15 m (49
ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with an enclosed upper portion.
The original lantern has been removed, and the light is now displayed from
a short post mounted on the gallery. A photo is at right,
Trabas has Rainer Arndt's photo, another photo is available, and Google has a satellite view.
There is a historic radio station near the lighthouse, and accommodations are available at the station. This
is often considered to be the world's northernmost traditional lighthouse, standing in latitude
N, although the Vestpynten light and other small lights are farther north.
Located on the point of the cape, marking the south side of the entrance
to the Isfjord. Accessible only by boat or helicopter, or perhaps by snowmobile
from Barentsburg. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SVA-005; NF-9860; Admiralty
L4314; NGA 17804.
- Kapp Heer
- Date unknown. Active (maintained by the Russian base management); focal plane 18 m (59 ft); continuous red light. Approx. 9 m (30 ft) square wood skeletal tower. Trabas has Rainer Arndt's photo and Google has a satellite view. Located on the south side of the Isfjord and the east side of the entrance to the Grønfjord, which leads to the Russian settlement of Barentsburg. Site open, tower closed. NF-9910; Admiralty
L4317.7; NGA 17809.
- * [Vestpynten (Longyearbyen) (2)]
- Date unknown. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); white flash every 5 s. Approx. 8 m (26 ft) hexagonal post with solar panels mounted on its south face. Wikimedia also has a photo of the new light and Google has a fuzzy satellite
view. Lightphotos.net also has a photo of the previous light, a 5
m (17 ft) wood skeletal tower with a light mounted on a small equipment cabinet.
Trabas has a view from the sea by Erich Hartmann that shows both lights. Located on the west side of the entrance to the harbor of Longyearbyen
from the Isfjord, adjacent to the airport. Site open, and visitors can climb
the stairs to the gallery of the older light. ARLHS SVA-004; NF-9864; Admiralty
L4318; NGA 17812.
Information available on lost lighthouses:
Notable faux lighthouses:
Adjoining page: South: Hammerfest Area
Return to the Lighthouse Directory index
| Ratings key
Posted September 2, 2010.
Checked and revised August 21, 2019. Lighthouses: 6. Site copyright 2019 Russ Rowlett and the University of North
Carolina at Chapel Hill.