Ads on the list

You wrote:

Message: 4
   Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 20:26:31 -0800
   From: "Greg Miller" <gsmiller@cet.com>
Subject: ads

I have up until now ignored the ads, however it is a relatively easy
thing to fix that.  I don't know what others are referring to when
they say that ads are coming as attachments, but that is about as
good as any reason for paying to get rid of them.

The current email service through egroups.com is free with the ads.
My recollection is that a year ago when I checked with onelist, it
was about $50 a year to get rid of the ads.  I will check and report
later.

Total cost to NAFEX for this list currently (including adminstrator /
moderator expenses) is nil, so a few bucks to get rid of ads probably
wouldn't be excessive.

Greg Miller
NAFEX email list administrator

I have just tries switching from digest (which strips the attachment
ads) to getting the letters directly.  This has the advantage that each
letter has its title, and it is easier to find stuff in mail archives.
But it has a couple of disadvantages.

(1)  It's harder (at least with my mailer) to answer someone off-line.
I just messed up and sent a letter to everyone that was intended for
only one person.

(2)  The ads are awful!  Most letters come with one or two little text
ads at the bottom, which is okay, but many come with colored flashing
banner ads.  These are really attachments, contain who knows what, are
slow to load, and are very annoying.  These attachment ads don't come
with the digest version, and may drive me back to the digest!

Anyhow, whatever you decide to do about the list, thanks for being
moderator.  I have really appreciated it.

Ginda Fisher