Re: Some questions on Mark 9:1-5

From: Bruce Terry (
Date: Fri Oct 06 1995 - 15:14:36 EDT

On Fri, 6 Oct 1995, Kenneth Litwak wrote:

>David Moore wrote:
>> Baur lists s.v. GEUOMAI, under #2, "fig[urative meaning], come to
>> know someth[ing]...W[ith] gen[itive] of the thing...."
> Well, I guess that's what I get from trying to translate late in the
>evening while trying to control two little boys, but it really looked to
>me like def #1 fit the context better, and that is supposed to take the
>accusative. Thanks.

Ken, if you will look closely, even def #1 is mostly in the genitive. Only
one NT passage is listed for the accusative: Jn. 2:9. Then BAG says, "W. gen.
of the thing." I admit it is hidden and not easy to see, which is why Greek
should not be done late in the evening :).

Bruce Terry E-MAIL:
Box 8426, ACU Station Phone: 915/674-3759
Abilene, Texas 79699 Fax: 915/674-3769