Re: Q?????

From: Michael W. Holmes (holmic@homer.acs.bethel.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 20 1995 - 09:53:49 EDT

Re the following posting by Matthew Morgan a few days ago:
1) I heartily agree with Carl Conrad's judicious reply;
2) Linnemann's book (and article) is the passionate and heartfelt cry of
a "convert," and must be respected as such, but that does not make it a
reasoned academic discourse in the customary sense of the term, to which
a reasoned reply can be made;
3) Bultmann himself, some decades ago, wrote a justly famous essay whose
title asked, "Is exegesis without presuppostions possible?" His answer,
as I recall it, was a resounding "no". To write as if Linnemann suddenly
discovered something new seems a bit naive (to put it politely).
--Mike Holmes