Re: Pro-seminar literature synoptics?

From: Stephen C Carlson (
Date: Wed Aug 14 1996 - 11:24:31 EDT wrote:
>Next year I have to give a course on the synoptic problem (Q, Redaction-
>History) to a group of what Americans would call undergraduate students.
>Germans would speak of a pro-seminar.
>Question: next to the books of Streeter, Schulz, Schmithals and
>Sanders/Davies, are there any other titles (monographs and essays) you would
>like to recommend to me?
>I thought I might venture to ask this question because I presume that not a
>few members of this list also give this course.

I am maintaining a web page devoted to the Synoptic Problem, and I would
love to see the answers to this query also go to this list. I have found
the following textbook to be a very good and lucid introduction to the
Synoptic Problem as well as form and redaction criticism:

Robert H. Stein, THE SYNOPTIC PROBLEM: An Introduction (Grand Rapids,
   Mich.: Baker Books, 1987).

It is written at a level that is appropriate for American undergraduate
students, as well as being quite detailed.

If you are interested in a more technical overview of the major arguments
and seminal essays both for and against the Two Source Hypothesis, then

Arthur J. Bellinzoni, Jr., ed., THE TWO-SOURCE HYPOTHESIS: A Critical
    Appraisal (Macon, Ga.: Mercer Univ. Press, 1985)

is an excellent resource.

I also would welcome any suggestions on how the Synoptic Problem Home
Page, now at, may be improved.

Stephen Carlson

Stephen C. Carlson, George Mason University School of Law, Patent Track, 4LE              : Poetry speaks of aspirations, and songs     : chant the words.  -- Shujing 2.35