Re: John 6 and KAI EUQUS

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@popalex1.linknet.net)
Date: Thu Jun 19 1997 - 11:49:44 EDT

Ben Crick wrote;
> There is much "Q" material John could have used, but he preferred to
> follow Mark. John never agrees with Matthew and/or Luke against Mark.
> CK Barrett says there was "a permeation of the writer of John's mind by
> Mark" but "he never copies it". So there were the odd phrases which "stick"
> - like KAI EUQUS and EUQEWS.

It was unfortunate for Barrett that Dodd's books on John came out about the
same time and convinced most of the scholarly world that the Johnnine
writer did not know any of the Synoptics in written form. H.E. Dana wrote
The Ephesian Tradition, published 20 years earlier in 1940 that came to
essentially the same conclusions that Dodd did, though no one paid much
attention. I would doubt that the Johnnine use of EUQEWS was influenced by
Mark. Two years before Dana's book was published Percy Gardner-smith
argued rather convincingly for the independence or John.

Carlton L. Winbery
114 Beall St.
Pineville, LA 71360
Fax (318) 442-4996