Re: Rev 2:20 - "the adultery of eating food"

From: Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Date: Tue Sep 30 1997 - 07:10:06 EDT

At 06:38 PM 9/29/97 -0700, Robert J. Petry wrote:

<I snipped a nice, helpful discussion of hendiasys, since he had already
said it nicely>

>After making the above statements, Bullinger gives Latin examples from Tacitus,
>Virgil, Horace, Caesar, etc. Then gives more explanation, and then examples of:
>Nouns and Verbs from both the Old and New Testaments. If appropriate, I can
send
>some of the examples a few at a time so the email wouldn't be too long.
Bullinger
>is long out of copyright. Or, can send off line if this would make the
thread too
>long.

I would love to see it, if it adds new information. I think I found a
hendiasys in English incidentally: how about "nice and cool" = "pleasantly
cool". Found that one on a web site for English usage, but I lost the URL.

Incidentally, hendiasys is not in the index of Porter's "Idioms of the Greek
New Testatament" either.

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com http://www.mindspring.com/~jwrobie
POET Software, 3207 Gibson Road, Durham, N.C., 27703 http://www.poet.com