From: Nichael Cramer (
Date: Thu Feb 05 1998 - 09:35:34 EST

Peter Phillips wrote:
> You see it's evidently only us Brits who understand Jesus humour :>)
> ----------
> From: Mark Goodacre []
> [... re Jesus and humor ...]
> If Jesus were writing Emails, he would have had to make
> liberal use, I think, of smiley faces.

In point of fact, there is textual evidence that He did exactly this.

Knowing, as we do, that the KJV was Jesus' native language, I turn in the
copy here on my desk to Matt 24:15 where we can read:

  When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation,
  spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place
  (whoso readeth, let him understand :)

The tradition, however, clearly preceeds Jesus, as we can see from
Esther 1:1:

  Now it came to pass in the days of Ahasuerus, (this is Ahasuerus which
  reigned from India even unto Ethiopia, over an hundred and seven and
  twenty provinces :)

Similarly, we find the "net.smirk" at Mark 5:13:

  And forthwith Jesus gave them leave. And the unclean spirits went
  out, and entered into the swine: and the heard ran violently down
  a steep place into the sea (they were about two thousand ;) and
  were choked in the sea.

I leave it to the more exegetically inclined on the list to decide whether
this means 1] that Jesus wasn't really serious about the "abomination"
bit, 2] the authors were joking about the 127 provinces or the 2000 swine
or 3] we finally have conclusive proof that the Holy Ghost has no nose.

Nichael Cramer