Re: The Climax of DOXA

From: Ben Crick (ben.crick@argonet.co.uk)
Date: Mon Mar 30 1998 - 00:38:36 EST

On Sat 28 Mar 98 (19:14:47), questioning1@yahoo.com wrote:
>ÊThe one aspect of the account thats giving me trouble, however, is John
>Ê21:15ff. There Peter is told to follow Jesus and is further informed
>Êthat he will die a death which results in the GLORIFICATION of God. How
>Êare we to view this part of John's Gospel vis-a'-vis the thematic
>Êstrand of DOXA?

 Dear Edgar,

 Yes, I overlooked 21:19a. This verse 19a appears to be in parentheses. Now
 "all Scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable...": we can't
 say one verse is 'more inspired' than another. Is 19a an editorial comment,
 an explanatory gloss to the reader?

 It's wonderful that anyone can glorify God in their lives; but that is
 understandable. What is harder to appreciate is that someone can glorify
 God in their death [gulp!]. Jesus' death glorified God (13:31-32); ere long
 Peter's death (by crucifixion) will glorify God too. "Precious in the sight
 of the LORD is the death of his saints" (Psalm 116:15).

>ÊDoes this literary unit constitute an inclusio?

 Do you mean, does John 21 belong to "John"?
 Interesting question. BW Streeter suggested over 60 years ago that John 21
 could be the "lost ending" of Mark. Looking at Mark 16:7, what sort of
 ending can be anticipated? An appearance in Galilee, to several disciples
 *and Peter*? From Mark 14 there must be some follow-up to Peter's denial;
 possible a threefold restoration to match the threefold denial? Luke 24:34
 records an appearance to "Simon"; "He appeared to Cephas" (1 Corinthians
 15:5. John's Gospel appears to end at 20:31; so, ergo, 'John' 21 is the end
 of Mark. John 21:2 is the appearance in Galilee to a group of disciples
 among whom Peter is prominent. 21:15ff is the threefold restoration. There
 is even the Mary Magdalene connection, John 20:11.

 Mark had friends in Asia (Colossians 4:10); he sent them his first copy.
 Immediately soldiers burst in; Mark's MS is snatched away, and the last
 sheet is torn off. The Roman church added Mark 16:9-20 to round off their
 copy; so therefore, when the severed page was later recovered, and it did
 not correspond to the 'added' Mark 16:9-20, it was tacked on to the Fourth
 Gospel (John) as an appendix. "Either the end of Mark is irretrievably
 lost, or it is incorporated as John 21" (Streeter). Hmmmmmmm. The style is
 different for starters. No "KAI EUQUS...".

> Is it to be taken as aÊvolitional imperative? Or, is this an example of
> John moving fromÊparticularity to generality?

 From Jesus (particular) to the disciples (general)? I'm not sure I understand
 the question here. Jesus' prophecy about Peter's death is a future, not an
 imperative; although if Christ prophesies something, we know it will happen!
 One normally goes from the General to the Particular; from the group of seven
 disciples, Peter is singled out. Is the /Quo Vadis/ legend relevant here?
 But say if I misunderstood your question.

 In Christ,
 Ben

--
 Revd Ben Crick, BA CF