Jn 21:15-17

From: Paul S. Dixon (dixonps@juno.com)
Date: Thu Apr 16 1998 - 21:28:40 EDT

B-Greekers:

I have two questions from this passage.

First, what is your take on the AGAPAS/FILEIS interpretation? Is there a
difference in meaning between the two words here, or should we see them
as being virtually synonymous, at least in this context?

I am tending towards the latter interpretation because of v. 17 where it
says Peter was grieved hOTI EIPEN AUTWi TO TRITON, FILEIS ME;
Technically, Christ had said FILEIS only once, and AGAPAS twice. Thus,
John would be wrong, unless he understood AGAPAS and FILEIS to be
synonymous here.

Second, if the same question is being asked three times, should we also
expect the resultant charges to be synonymous? Do they all mean the same
thing?

        BOSKE TA ARNIA MOU
        POIMAINE TA PROBATA MOU
        BOSKE TA PROBATA MOU

Is this just an emphatic way of driving home the point, i.e., if Peter
really loved Christ, then he would tend His flock, which includes feeding
and caring for the entire flock, young included?

Paul Dixon

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]