Re: Dead Sea Mark

From: Jim West (
Date: Fri Apr 24 1998 - 11:47:38 EDT

At 07:45 AM 4/24/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Greetings all,
>I wonder if anyone knows of any good web sites or other info on the 'net
>dealing with the recent discovery of Dead Sea fragments claimed to be of
>the Gospel of Mark?

You must be referring to O'Callaghan's claim (followed by Carsten Thiede)
that 7Q5 is a fragment of Mark. It isn't!!!! By the way, o"Callaghan just
suggested that it MIGHT be whereas Thiede said it IS).

There is O'Callaghan's article linked to the Orion web site- but before you
waste time reading a theory that simply will not wash, see Graham Stanton's
"Gospel Truth" where he rightly debunks the whole nonsense. There are NO NT
fragments at Qumran. NONE!

Jim West, ThD
Quartz Hill School of Theology