Re: Theos

From: Jack Kilmon (jkilmon@historian.net)
Date: Mon May 04 1998 - 12:20:33 EDT

dalmatia@eburg.com wrote:

> Jack ~
>
> The one I have been 'looking' at is the etymological relationship, if
> there is one, between the Egyptian Horus and the Greek HORAW.
>
> Any thoughts?

        Of course many of the Egyptian names for its kings
and deities come to us in Greek transliteration, i.e
Osirus for (SR, Tutmosis for jhwtymes, etc. The Egyptian
for Horus was probably something like hrw (heROO). I need
to get a handle on HORAW. What is the M-C transliteration?
Can you give me a meaning and context from other writings?
The Greek (ORAW, impf of (ORATOJ, -H, -ON for that which
has to do with sight?
        My first blush is that HORUS is a Greek transliterated
HRW but since the Egyptian word for "sight" is also HR and
the heiroglyph for sight (a small face) is part of the
determinatives in HRW (Horus), there definitely seems to
be an etymological connection.

Jack

--
Dâman dith laych idneh dânishMA nishMA