Re: grammars: Hewett, Voelz, etc.

From: Jim West (
Date: Sat May 16 1998 - 11:50:07 EDT

At 11:31 PM 5/16/98 +0800, you wrote:
>On this subject, what first grammar would the list recommend to someone
>teaching themselves who has just finished Dobson's course and has
>probably not had much experience of formal grammar before?

Such a list must perforce be very subjective- but I offer my ratings of your

no- so it deserves *****

The intermediate grammar I love the best- **********

>Easley: Common sense approach (must be a course?)

>Hewett J: NT Gk a beginning-intermediate grammar.

>Summers/Sawyer: Essentials of NT Greek (a coursebook or a grammar?)

really a coursebook. ***

>MacDonald: Greek Enchiridian (fossil)

>Machen J: NT Gk for beginners (probably a coursebook?)

yup- -* (I didn't really like this one at all.

>Mounce: Basics of Biblical Gk (ditto?)

yup - though ***

>Perschbacher W: NT Gk Syntax an illustrated manual

never heard of him or it.

>Rienecker F: Linguistic key to NT (a parsing manual?)

yup- I have the first german edition and find it really great help!!!

>Voelz J: Fundamental Greek Grammar

>- I assume the following do not include grammars:
>Friberg: Analytical Gk NT
>Han: Parsing Manual

both of these are no go's

>Which are the dogs, which are too heavy, which win the 400 metres?

Use Rienecker as you read the text; and use Dana/ Mantey.

Jim West, ThD
Quartz Hill School of Theology