Re: Concord of Gender and Number

From: Stephen C. Carlson (
Date: Sat Aug 22 1998 - 00:19:04 EDT

At 09:58 AM 8/21/98 -0700, clayton stirling bartholomew wrote:
>I think it was this expectation that led to the scribal
>"correction" to MEIZWN, the scribes not understanding how MEIZON was being

I think it might be due to homophony. In scriptoria, manuscripts were copied
by having a lector slowly read the text to a number of scribes taking the
dictation. As the length distinction between W and O slowly vanished, it
would seem that a scribe might occasionally substitute MEIZWN for MEIZON
particularly if the context favored the former.

Stephen Carlson

Stephen C. Carlson
Synoptic Problem Home Page
"Poetry speaks of aspirations, and songs chant the words."  Shujing 2.35