From: Steve Long (
Date: Tue Aug 25 1998 - 04:51:31 EDT

>Yep, it leaves lots of room for eisegesis! Actually there's mystery enough
>there; I wonder, however, if anybody has been looking at the context of
>this imperative: it follows immediately upon the prayer in which Jesus
>curses the fig tree that is in leaf but bears no fruit ... and soon after
>the fig tree is shown to be blasted! Personally, I would understand the
>fig-tree elements as symbolic of the destruction of Jerusalem, but the
>pericope on efficacious prayer is pretty clearly positioned by the
>evangelist to follow upon the curse upon the fig tree, and that makes it
>the more enigmatic, as George, with somewhat different intent, I think,
>says. I also still think that QEOU has to be understood as an objective
>genitive and that ECETE here means "continue to grasp firmly, keep holding
>tight (your faith in God)."

So you're saying that ECETE has both the indicative and imperative sense
here? I never really had a problem understanding the genitive as
objective/possessive/qualitative because I saw it as faith that has it
source with God's character. My problem was with the imperative because
faith is genitive of God, it starts with Him. I like the idea of "continue
to grasp" or "keep holding tight", but I wonder if we're starting to move
toward an interpretation that would have required a perfect verb tense.

Steve Long