Re: Did Paul Author Hebrews?

From: Jack Kilmon (
Date: Tue Sep 08 1998 - 16:43:04 EDT wrote:

> In a message dated 9/8/98 4:54:38 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
> writes:
> > Greetings All:
> >
> > This is probably too involved a question for B-Greek, but I have been
> > wondering what the pros and cons are (grammatically, syntactically, etc.)
> > regarding the Pauline authorship of Hebrews. Can anyone suggest a
> > particularly well-balanced article or book dealing with this question?
> > Many thanks.
> >
> > Best in Christ,
> >
> > Theodore "Ted" H. Mann
> >

> In addition to the introductions cited, P. Ellingworth discusses authorship in
> his <<Commentary on Hebrews>>, pp. 3-21. As he says, "The idea of Pauline
> authorship of Hebrews is now almost universally abandoned" (p. 3).
> To me, two things about the letter that are strikingly Pauline are the
> association of the triad of love, faith and hope (see particularly 10:10-25)

This association is addressed by Paul to the Corinthians, a mission towhich Apollos
was dispatched. Apollos would have been very
familiar with this.

> and the association with Timothy in 13:23.

Who must have been well known...and also considered a "brother" to otherPauline
proteges...such as Apollos.

> In contrast, the style of Greek, the structure of the letter, the vocabulary
> selected, the way the OT is used and the way in which the author relates to
> the recipients (who are known to him) and interjects himself into the text is
> markedly different from Paul's other letters.

Yes..using very Philoesque formulae in beautiful Alexandrian Greek,also suggesting
Apollos who certainly would have been acquainted
with the Philo school, if not a member..prior to his leaving Alexandria
for Ephesus.

I think all indicators point to Apollos, at least among the known
associates of Paul or alternately another highly educated Alexandrian
emigre to Asia Minor...probably Ephesus.