Re: OUAI = "DAMN"?

From: Phillip J. Long (
Date: Tue Sep 15 1998 - 12:59:58 EDT

On the subject of finding modern equivilents to Greek phrases, I was
reading through the JACT Classical Greek course and ran across the
phrase es koraka, "to the crows," used in a phrase something like "go
to the crows." The lexicon provided in the textbook gave the gloss
"go to hell." L&S have "go to the dogs, go and be hanged.'"

This is a case where the euphemistic language would escape the modern
reader completly if it was translated "literally." Although I would
think that it might shake a person up to be told to "go to the crows."

Phillip J. Long
Asst. Prof. Bible & Greek
Grace Bible College