Re: Phillipians 2:1 PNEUMATOS - Big S or little S?

Date: Mon Sep 28 1998 - 18:07:07 EDT

In a message dated 9/28/1998 9:13:37 AM Central Daylight Time, writes:

> >Is it more likely, given that PNEUMATOS is antharous, that the first
> >option is correct? Would the presence of the article still leave us
> >uncertain between option (2) and option (3)?
> >
> >Tim Duke
> >Sydney
> >
> I'm wondering why it has to be one or the other and not all of the above.
> If we translate it as "spiritual fellowship", it need not be one or the
> other. Through our spirit we have fellowship with one another in the Holy
> Spirit and with the Holy Spirit. Maybe we should look at the lack of an
> article as inclusive rather exclusive. A commonality of our spirits with
> the Spirit of God. Making the noun PNEUMATOS into an adjective puts the
> focus back on the fellowship where it belongs.
> Steve

While I think this makes a nice theological argument, I don't think it makes a
good grammatical/textual argument. If Paul meant to use PNEUMATOS as an
adjective, then why didn't he use the adjective form of the word: PNEUMATIKOS,
which he does use in many other letters? Discussions on interpretation should
start first on a grammatical basis.

- Mark -