Re: Phillipians 2:1 PNEUMATOS - Big S or little S?

Date: Mon Sep 28 1998 - 17:56:15 EDT

In a message dated 9/27/1998 11:35:15 PM Central Daylight Time, writes:

> Am I correct in thinking that the phrase:
> could be translated
> 1) "if any fellowship of spirit" (ie our own spirits)
> OR 2) "if any fellowship (with each other) that derives from the (holy)
> Spirit"
> OR 3) "if any fellowship with the (Holy) Spirit"
> Is it more likely, given that PNEUMATOS is antharous, that the first
> option is correct? Would the presence of the article still leave us
> uncertain between option (2) and option (3)?
> Tim Duke
> Sydney

Let's take another look at choice #1 above: "if any fellowship of spirit" (ie
our own spirits)" If we want to translate this "if any fellowship of our own
, then I would expect PNEUMATOS to be plural, not singular. I'm not sure
about choosing between #2 and #3. On the balance, I think Paul's general use
of koinwnia implies a fellowship between believers, but whether that holds
true in this particular case, I'm not sure.

- Mark -