Re: Comparatives/Superlatives in the NT

From: Phillip J. Long (
Date: Thu Oct 08 1998 - 15:42:30 EDT

On Thu, 8 Oct 1998 14:2:42, you wrote:

> As you have noted, I do not believe
>Mounce addresses comparatives/superlatives in this book.

Any idea why? Wallace has a nice discussion of comparatives, etc.
begining on 296 of his book. There are plenty of NT examples of
comparatives (c. 170), fewer superlatives (40-ish). Seems to me to be
a large grammatical catagory to skip.

Both Perschbacher and Wallace use the term "elative" which I was not
familier with until reading their sections. I have seen "strengthed
superlative," although that seems like a different thing to me.

Phillip J. Long
Asst. Prof. Bible & Greek
Grace Bible College