Re: Luke 3:18 Syntax

From: Daniel Ria–o (
Date: Fri Oct 09 1998 - 12:33:37 EDT

G. Ross wrote:
>> I would appreciate it if someone would be kind enough to explain to
>>me the syntax of Luke 3:18. POLLA MEN OUN KAI hETERA PARAKALWN
>>EUHGGELIZETO TON LAON. I am currently reviewing the form and use of
>>present (continuous) participles as presented in chapter 27 of Mounce's
>>_Basics of Biblical Greek_. The verse given above is part of a
>>translation exercise in the workbook that accompanies Mounce's BBG.
>>What puzzles me is the use of the middle voice of EUANGGELIZW. Do POLLA
>>and hETERA function as the grammatical subjects of EUHGGELIZETO (neuter
>>compound subject with a verb in the singular) and consequently TON LAON
>>as the direct object of PARAKALWN? Thank you for your help! Gordon
As I see it. *parakalw=n* is subjective predicative of the main verb
*eu)hggeli/zeto*. *Polla\ me\n ou)=n kai\ e(/tera* is a pair of coordinated
internal accusatives of *parakalw=n*. *to\n lao/n* is external direct
complement of the main verb. *eu)aggeli/zw* regularly functions in the
middle voice as transitive even in the NT (the exceptions in Act.Ap., but
it is not easy to find the meaning of the voice opposition).

Daniel Ria–o Rufilanchas
c. Santa Engracia 52, 7 dcha.
28010-Madrid, Espa–a