Re: Books

From: Carl W. Conrad (
Date: Tue Oct 20 1998 - 23:55:15 EDT

At 7:05 PM -0500 10/20/98, Edward Hobbs wrote:
>Colleagues, and Carl:
>I barely have time to read my b-greek e-mail these days, and only about
>every other day. But Carl Conrad is so knowledgeable about so many
>things that when he nods (like Homer?), I can't resist!
>He writes:
>>What Shakespeare is reported to have said actually was that he had "a
>>little Greek and less Latin." At least, that's how I remmeber it.
>WS may have actually said that. But (I work from memory, and shudder
>lest I too remember it badly), in his epitaph to Shakespeare after his
>death, Ben Jonson wrote that WS "had small Latin and less Greek."
>I'll look it up tomorrow when I have access to books; but if you don't get
>a retraction from me, this is what Ben Jonson wrote.
>Edward Hobs

No, you are, of course, right, Edward, about everything--except about
spelling your own name! My version, I confess it, was adapted to Jonathan's
version, which was "Little Greek, no Latin"; I guess this makes it a
matter of SUUM CUIQUE, or "Too many hogs spoil the cooking"--a specialized
version of "Quelle Quiche!"

Carl W. Conrad
Home: 7222 Colgate Ave./St. Louis, MO 63130/(314) 726-5649 OR