From: Nichael Lynn Cramer (
Date: Wed Oct 28 1998 - 07:30:48 EST wrote:
>It just occurred to me to ask: is John's use of the word Logos to describe
>Christ as God, his own invention? Is there any previous pagan, or septuagint,
>usage of logos as god?

The use of LOGOS in Greek philisophical thought predates John by a long time.

Moreover, the complexity of ideas and concepts embedded in the term is
enormous --not even hinted at by the standard English translation of
"Word"-- and arguably encompasses the notion of "God" as well as much else.

A good place to get a notion of this complexity (as well as a handle on the
semantic range of the term) is one of the standard Greek lexicons. Start,
for example, with the Liddle-Scott lexicon in which the entry for LOGOS
fills over two and half dense pages.

Nichael Cramer                        deep autumn--                   my neighbor what does she do