Re: Lexicons

From: Larry Swain (swainl@calcite.rocky.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 04 1998 - 17:36:52 EST

On Fri, 4 Dec 1998, Kevin W. Woodruff wrote:

> I think few would argue that Walter Bauer's lexicon is not the one you want
> to get
>
> Bauer, Walter, William F. Arndt, and Felix Wilbur Gingrich, eds. A
> Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian
> Literature. 2nd ed. Revised and augmented by F. Wilbur Gingrich and
> Frederick W. Danker. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1979

Assuming of course that it is NT Greek you were wanting to look at and
study. Lampe's Patristic Lexicon (forgotten the precise title and bib
info) is better if you're focussing on more of the patristic authors
although Bauer is adequate, and for overall Greek Liddell and Scott is
still the best from Classical to Late Antiquity, the unabridged is
available online at Perseus, the small edition is a handy reference tool.

More information than you wanted to know,

Larry Swain