Re: ALEIYANTES in Jam 5:14

From: Francisco Orozco (
Date: Tue Feb 09 1999 - 10:19:33 EST

Carl W. Conrad wrote:

>> What class of participle is ALEIYANTES in Jam 5:14, is it
>>circumstancial? How is it related to the imperative in the text (pray)?
>Class? Not sure what you mean by that. Let's call it '99 this year! It's m.
>nom. pl. aorist active of ALEIFW, and yes: it is circumstantial, indicating
>what the elders should do to accompany their prayer when they respond to
>the summons of the person who is ill. Here both PROSEUXASQWSAN and
>ALEIYANTES are aorist; more often than not, one tends to understand the
>aorist participle of an action preceding that of the main verb: "after
>anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord, let them pray over him ..."

: ) Class of '99! I really didnt know what to call what I was looking for.
I used "class" because that's what Dana&Mantey keep using in p.223 of their
Now, can we understand that though the imperative is PROSEUXASQWSAN the
*command* involves both prayer and anointing? That is, that the *command*
requires the (preceding) action of anointing followed by the prayer by the
elders. Is that a correct understanding of your (Carl's) "should do" above?

Francisco Orozco