Re: Pluperfect in John 7:30

From: Carl W. Conrad (
Date: Mon Feb 08 1999 - 19:11:53 EST

At 2:21 PM -0800 2/8/99, George Blaisdell wrote:
>>From: "Carl W. Conrad"
>> Consider similarly John 2:4, where Jesus tells his mother,
>>where the perfective prsent hHKW is used instead of the more >common
>perfect or aorist form of ERCOMAI.
>The term "perfective present" has me captivated, regarding hHKW, hHKEI,
>etc. Does this verb then not have a perfect and pluperfect form? Or is
>it derived somehow from ERCOMAI? Or how does it all work? Could you
>just discuss it a bit? Its morphology, derivation, and form usages?

hHKW is termed a "perfective present" because it is conjugated as a present
tense but is translated with the sense of a perfect: "I have come"; it has
an imperfect, and I have seen a future hHXW, but there are no forms in any
other tense system, to my knowledge.

Carl W. Conrad
Home: 7222 Colgate Ave./St. Louis, MO 63130/(314) 726-5649 OR