PISTIS in Josephus

From: Jeffrey B. Gibson (jgibson000@mailhost.chi.ameritech.net)
Date: Wed Mar 17 1999 - 19:54:21 EST

Steve Long wrote:

> B-Greekers,
>
> I've started reading Josephus to expand my Greek horizons and I've
come
> across something interesting already. Josephus uses PISTIS in a
political
> sense in terms of loyalty or allegiance to Rome. I'm wondering if this

> sense of allegiance would be the more prevalent sense of the word
rather
> than belief or faith, or is this just a case of one word having more
than
> one meaning depending on context?

Steve,

A great deal of support for your observation that PISTIS/PISTEUW in the
NT
has more to do with allegiance than a cognitive process can be found
Pilch and
Malina's _Hanbook of Biblical Social Values_ (Hendrickson, 1998). You'll
also
probably be interested to know that Tom Wright is making some hay from
the import of
the Joesphean usage of the terms to illuminate the PISTIS XRISTOU
(faithulness
that Jesus displayed and therefore the faithfulness that his followers
are to display)
debate.

Yours,

Jeffrey