Re: PISTIS in Josephus

From: Edgar Krentz (
Date: Thu Mar 18 1999 - 11:07:37 EST

>At 7:51 AM -0600 3/18/99, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:
>>Is this argument reversable (if that's the correct term)? That is to say,
>>is Paul's
>>use of PISTIS in Romans (or for that matter in any Epistle to a group
>>within a Roman
>>polis) influenced by what he knew his Roman influenced *readers* would
>>understand by
>>the term?
>This is a very good question; I think that Edgar Krentz's comment may bear
>very well on this. One could hardly overstate the importance of the concept
>of FIDES in Roman political thought: it appears often enough even on coins
>of the imperial period, doesn't it (or do I misremember?).
>Carl W. Conrad

Carl, not only FIDES, but doesn't FIDUCIA appear just as often? I con't
think we should assume that FIDES and PISTIS completely overlie one
another. But then, your Latin is probably better than mine.

Edgar Krentz
Professor of New Testament Emeritus
Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago
1100 E. 55th Street