the usage of PROGINOSKW in 1 Pet 1:2&20

From: Lee Nunes (
Date: Sun Mar 28 1999 - 23:19:10 EST

Can anyone tell me the reason for the translation of PROGINOSKW as
"foreordained" in 1 Pet 1:20, when it is translated "foreknow" in many
other places? (1 Pet 1:2, Rom 8, Rom 11:2) Don't worry about appearing to
be Calvinist or Arminian, I just want to know what the nature of PROGINOSKW
is, and how this may support either view. Is Peter's usage unique? Or is
it used similar ways in other literature?