Re: live discussions???

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 06 1999 - 11:43:41 EDT

At 10:38 AM -0400 4/6/99, Jim West wrote:
>Colleagues,
>
>I hope this does not seem too "off the wall"- but I have been considering
>the possibility of our supplementing email discussion with live discussions
>in the "chat" room (I prefer to describe it as a "faculty lounge"- but be
>that as it may...) on my web site.
>
>My idea is:
>1- to set a topic for discussion
>2- to set a time and date for said discussion
>3- and to have someone knowlegable on that particular topic (preferably the
>person who suggests it) be the primary respondent to the questions or
>comments posed.
>4- such discussions being planned for about an hour in length.
>
>What think ye? dumb idea or something worth pursuing?
>(apologies for cross postings)

My own thinking about this--without having conferred, of course, with
Edward Hobbs or Jonathan--is that this may well be a fine idea for those
who wish to participate, but that it ought to be kept wholly separate from
the B-Greek list, apart from an invitation with details of time and place.
Personally, I think it would be best as something organized by private
initiative and under the separate responsibility of one or more persons at
its own site. I'm assuming that this is the sort of thing Jim has in mind
and that there wasn't really any intention of making this an activity under
the aegis of B-Greek (my guess is that it would soon enough get away from
distinctly Greek focus).

Carl W. Conrad
cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu