Re: off topic- creation of yet another list?

From: Stephen C. Carlson (scarlson@mindspring.com)
Date: Sun Apr 11 1999 - 20:13:52 EDT

At 03:57 PM 4/11/99 -0500, Carl W. Conrad wrote:
>At 3:35 PM -0400 4/11/99, Jim West wrote:
>>Synoptic List already serves this purpose I think.
>
>I respectfully disagree. While GMk gets treated on Synoptic-L, it gets
>treated fundamentally in terms of the relevance of anything in Mark to a
>solution (or more generally, IMHO, to a NON-solution) of the Synoptic
>problem. I personally find GMk the single most fascinating literary
>document in the GNT, and I would very much like to see a discussion list
>focusing strictly on matters bearing directly on understanding this one
>little sequence of 16 chapters. Personally I'd have no use for a list on
>Mark that duplicated what Synoptic-L does with Mark.

The mission statement of Synoptic-L (from its web page) is:

        Synoptic-L is an Email conference for the discussion of
        the interrelationships of the Synoptic Gospels. Synoptic-L
        is an academic list devoted to the critical, scholarly
        study of the Synoptic Problem and although membership is
        open to anyone interested, Synoptic-L aims to be a home
        for high quality New Testament scholarship.

Thus, to the extent that I understand Jeffrey and Carl to want a list
devoted to the gospel of Mark, especially when considered by itself
rather than in constant comparison to Matthew and Luke, then Synoptic-L
is probably not the best home for that topic. Occasional messages and
threads on aspects of the synoptic gospels other than the synoptic
problem, however, are welcome insofar as they may shed light indirectly
on that problem. In the words of the web page for Synoptic-L:

        While this topic is primarily a source-critical one,
        contributions may naturally involve related form-critical,
        redaction-critical, text-critical and other literary-critical
        questions.

Stephen Carlson

--
Stephen C. Carlson                        mailto:scarlson@mindspring.com