peribleyesqai

From: Jim West (jwest@highland.net)
Date: Wed Apr 14 1999 - 16:55:36 EDT

The thing I like so much about commenting here is that no matter what I say
someone will disagree--- forcing me to offer proof.

So, regarding the verb we were earlier discussing, I would point the
interested to Blass-Debrunner sec. 316(1), where they list peribleyesqai
(middle!!!!) as an example of active meaning even though the form is
passive. They also point out that it is active in Attic.

There is no reason to imagine that Jesus was furtively glancing around... as
some translators would lead us to believe. Rather, the middle has lost its
middleness here (and in other middle form verbs as well) and we merely have
Jesus "looking around and being simultaneously ticked off!"

best,

Jim

Jim West, ThD
Petros Baptist Church- Pastor
Quartz Hill School of Theology- Adjunct Prof. of Bible

fax- 978-231-5986
email- jwest@highland.net
web page- http://web.infoave.net/~jwest