Re: peribleyesqai

From: Jim West (jwest@Highland.Net)
Date: Fri Apr 16 1999 - 08:51:38 EDT

At 07:45 AM 4/16/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I owe you an apology, Jim; you remarked later to Carlton that nobody had
>taken notice of your real point; I had done so, but was trying to make
>another point of my own about which you and I are evidently in disagreement.

You never owe me an apology Carl. Apologies are for people who are intractable.

>Let me note at the outset that I laughed out loud when I saw your opening
>comment in the post I was commenting on:

that was my purpose... :-)

>At 4:55 PM -0400 4/14/99, Jim West wrote:
>>The thing I like so much about commenting here is that no matter what I say
>>someone will disagree--- forcing me to offer proof.
>
>So I said to myself, there's a challenge to disagree, if ever there was
>one; I was initially piqued at your writing the form of the future middle
>infinitive in the subject-header and calling it passive, but when I checked
>the section of BDF that you cited, I saw (a) that you were quite right
>about the assertion there that PERIBLEPESQAI should be recognized as having
>active meaning even though its form is middle (sort of an "inverted
>deponent," if one favors the term "deponent," as in fact I don't) but saw
>also (b) that BDF say this about PERIBLEPESQAI in a paragraph in which they
>are emphasizing that the reflexive/middle sense does indeed survive in
>Koine. I thought this was worth underlining, particularly in the light of
>the passages cited by Jay Adkins asserting that this was not true. But it
>IS true, and the survival and even expansion of the middle voice in later
>Greek is one of the points I intend(ed) to underscore in my re-formulated
>"Observations on Ancient Greek Voice."

I look forward very much to your posting this soon.

>At any rate, I apologize for a bit of rudeness and slapstick humor in a
>message in which I really meant to say something a little more important.

Again, no apology necessary.

Best, as ever,

Jim

Jim West, ThD
Petros Baptist Church- Pastor
Quartz Hill School of Theology- Adjunct Prof. of Bible

fax- 978-231-5986
email- jwest@highland.net
web page- http://web.infoave.net/~jwest