Re: LXX, Extra-Biblical Quotes, and the Vulgate

From: Rodney J. Decker (
Date: Thu Apr 29 1999 - 07:41:23 EDT

>Can someone provide me with, or tell me where to find, a complete list of
>OT quotes in the NT that are clearly from the LXX, and the sources of
>quotes that are clearly extra-Biblical? Many thanks. Also, what Greek

Archer, Gleason A. and G. C. Chirichigno. *OT Quotations in the NT: A
Complete Curvey.* Chicago: Moody Press, 1983. Out of print last I knew;
hope you have library access to it. I know of no other one like it: gives,
in parallel columns according to OT order (w/ NT index): Hebrew, LXX, & NT
texts (all in orig. langugages), plus a fourth col. of brief commentary and
evaluation/classification of the differences, etc. One of the reprinters
really ought to pick up this very useful tool--Hendrickson? Kregel? (I
wonder if James Ernest is still reading the list? Hint!)

Rodney J. Decker, Th.D. Baptist Bible Seminary
Dept. of NT P.O. Box 800, Clarks Summit, PA 18411
The *Resources for NT Study* page is accessible at: