1 Peter 2:19

From: John M. Harkins (smichael@bellatlantic.net)
Date: Wed Jun 09 1999 - 08:40:03 EDT

In replying to the posting of John Barach, I sent a Īblame it on the
computerā message that is best described as a corrupt text. I apologize
to John and to all for this. Hopefully these two documents might serve
students as examples of Īscribal errorā. The correct text is as
follows:

TOUTO GAR XARIS EI DIA SUNEIDHSIN QEOU hUPOFEREI TIS LUPAS PASXWN ADIKWN

The famed two cents:

THEOU seems a pretty straightforward objective genitive. The rendering
of the word
SUNEIDHSIS as conscience or consciousness also seems straightforward. I
am not familiar
with the scholars that you cite (Goppelt, Van Houwelingen). In reading
/explaining
DIA SUNEIDHSIN QEOU as "the conscience trained on God which remains
bound to him" as
being the *basis* or *origen* of the suffering, they seem to me to
have remained
with the basic DIA notion of causality or reason. The expansion given
above does add a
vividness to the causality perhaps even startles a bit. It made me
immediately think
of Jn 17:14 even though there is no grammatical comparison. Seems to
me to be a
good reading.

(Rev.) John M. Harkins